Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Head - Getting started info

Options
Boken Smoker
Boken Smoker Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,
I am on my way to becoming a new "Egghead" and purchased my first Large BGE last week and am having it installed and delivered this Saturday. I have been readin the forum, but I dont really see any "Geting started" or stickies section like many other forums have. I have been Googling and using the nakedwhiz.com site, but just seeing if anyone has some good starter tips and recommendations. I am a pretty experienced smoker and griller, but looking for some great BGE information. Really looking forward to sharing my successes with my BGE! Thanks and happy holidays!

Boken Smoker

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Welcome to the Kingdom of Eggheads and the Egghead Forum. We're here to help you enjoy the process of becoming an Egghead. Just ask.... Then later, share.

You will get advice on what to cook at first while getting your Egg used to heat and getting you used to controlling temperature and other little basic issues.

Watch the video, then watch it again. It has some valuable and extremely helpful information to get you started.

I suggest cooking Spatchcocked Chicken first. The recipe is on the Naked Whiz's site. Then keep your cooks under 400° for the first five or six times to let the gasket adhere properly. After that you can try that steak you are drooling for.

When you get a chance, attend a few local Eggfests. You will meet your fellow Eggheads and learn more in two hours than you could in a month on your own.

Becoming an Egghead is probably one of the best decisions you will have ever made.

Spring "Eleven Year Egghead" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Boken Smoker
    Options
    Wow! Great links. One thing I should be more specific about. Is there a list of must have accessories, good to have, etc...

I bought my egg with a nest and plate setter. Some things I am looking at:

Cast Iron grill
    Stainless Grill
    Woo3 Extender (actually ordered this as usually like to cook ribs and brisket together)

Items that I have already:
    Good gloves
    Maverick Themoter

Thing I may need:

Ash tool
    Grate lifter

Should i get a chimney or a just get the torch? Anything else?
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    GET A THERMAPEN

For sure!!!!!!
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    And remember that you cook by temperature, not time for best results.
  • Boken Smoker
    Options
    Yeah, I have plenty of thermometers - I have a maverick 2 way (Grill and Meat), a thermapen, and some old school grill ones just to keep inside for extra measure!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Thermapen, definetly. Heavy [welding] gloves. Pizza stone. I use a MAPP torch for lighting, there are several other options. :)
    Wecome aboard, your life is about to change! :laugh: :P :cheer:
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Since Christmas is here a Digi Q is always nice to have. Also the spider from the ceramic grill store and if you get that then you'll want the small cast iron grate. Pizza stone. I use my raised grates alot.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    The list of links that Dirty gave you are real good. Make sure you click on Grandpa Grub's link for FAQ's. Very helpful. Good luck and welcome.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and your new way of life in cooking! You may want to invest in a looftl lighter to start your start your lump.
  • Banker John
    Options
    from my years of eggsperience, here is my list of "gotta have accessories"

Ash tool
    Plate setter
    pizza stone
    extra grid with extender
    MAPP Gas torch (for lighting lump)
    Thermapen instant read
    Polder thermometer (wrap the cord in foil)
    supply of wood chunks (hickory, mesquite and cherry)
    Supply of heavy duty aluminum foil
    supply of aluminum pie tins (for drip pans)

With the above items, you will be able to cook most anything to absolute perfection (with a little practice).

In the beginning for me, the hardest thing was to learn to control te temperature. This is done with the bottom vent (air intake) and the cap on top (exhaust). With a little practice and asking of others here, we will be able to help with an approximation of vent opening/settings to get to the desired temperature.

Have fun and enjoy...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

There are all kinds of 'goodies' you can get and all of them are fun.

Start simple with a few needed items. It won't take long for you to realize what you really need to get. Over time I have spent a lot on stuff I don't really use that often.

My favorite items which are used on the majority of my cooks is.

The Adjustable Rig & Spider & a some extra grates for different multiple level cooking - from Ceramics Grill Store. I have only used the Plate Setter two times since. Tom also has some drip pans and I would pick up one of those also.

Thermapen by Thermoworks, I wouldn't scrimp on this item it is used all the time on the egg and off the egg.

Some basics, ash tool (you could make one), Grid Lift I really recommend getting the ThirdHand made by member Thirdeye. That is one of the handiest darn things I have.

I would pick up a Maverick ET-732, which is a new model, I have the ET-73 and will get the 732 when the demand has died down.

You probably have a lot of the other basic stuff you need like aluminum foil, gloves etc.

Do some cooking and ask questions it won't take long before you know what accessories you want/need.

More expensive items that I like is the DigiQ and (or) the Stoker. I prefer the Stoker as it has more flexibility in what it can do but they both are great units. I have and use both.

I love the Dutch Oven with the egg.

Here is a link for some additional helpful information. FAQ - Tips and Useful Information

Welcome to the forum and I am looking forward to seeing and reading about some of your cooks.

GG