Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just don't "get" breakfast on the egg.

Options

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    you are such a judgmental pr!©k
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    smoke some grey salt (wet sal,T MAKE BLOODY MARYS ANYTIME)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Options
    Dave in So Cal wrote:
    I can see doing bfast on the BGE if you are having some sort of gilled meat. .

Fish for breakfast? Ewwwww

:pinch:
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    cannot relate, the food IS the process, they're inseperable (the beer, lighting the fire, the beer, the aroma of the smoke, the beer, music, some food...); that said, I go through bouts of laziness where I don't fire it up for some time, just easier to pour milk on cereal or pop dinner on the stove top... but it always draws me back & suppose it always will, & I suspect it has its hooks in you too
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I'm with you! That is why I bought a house with both an oven and a stove. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've come back from fishing at 8:00 am and had trout frying by 8:30 :woohoo: cooked in the bacon grease ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, I haven't started writing a craigslist ad yet. :) So I guess I'm not hopeless. :laugh:

Maybe I should consider more beer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I do not really do breakfast on the egg, but I do like to make fatties that I slice and use for breakfast and Canadian bacon that is wonderful for Eggs Benedict and other goodies.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Michael,

Beer in the morning makes for creativity!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    So THAT'S how Marc does it!! I thought he was just naturally gifted. Or maybe that too? :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    You would be surprised how many he can nail before 7:00 am. Sometimes he dips his biscotti in grappa when he misses the espresso. :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• No Trash
    Options
    Zippylip wrote:
    Michael, I think I have isolated the problem in your own statement:

"As for the egg, I have enough trouble forcing myself to crank it up for a "real" meal in the evening."

:huh:

I can't wait to get home from work to 'Crank it up' and I am always on the search for something else to put on the egg. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Pig candy is on the short list. :whistle::whistle::whistle:
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I agree with you Carolina Q. You won't see me outside in 17" of snow cooking pancakes and bread on the egg. Going to be a big slab of meat at this time of year. Hard to see myself even attempting to do this in the summer months.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I guess it's a matter of preference and planning.

I can think of all kinds of reasons to cook breakfast on the egg AND probably just as many why someone wouldn't.

Try it - you might like it.

Michael
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Do you work the graveyard shift so that when you fire it up you are cooking breakfast? ;)
  • Essex County
    Options
    I haven't done brownies on the egg but have done a chocolate chipolte cake and a pineapple upside down cake and many breads. I agree with RRP that you do (or don't do) breakfast on the egg because you can. But baking on the egg is a positive thing because the egg has stable temps and holds moisture better than a conventional oven. I've even done coffee cake on the egg. (ok, my wife did the coffee cake. But it was on the egg.)

And another egg-enhanced idea... Try starting a pulled pork with a bunch of the trimmings you've taken off your untrimmed ribs at 11pm. By 7am, the trimmings are ready to eat with eggs and toast. Only done it once but I'd do it again!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I cook on the egg on weekends...I dont even get up in time for breakfast on those days...so it's not even an issue here.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Now THAT is a superb breakfast.
  • Lambchops
    Options
    I don't believe that heat is heat.I have cooked baked beans in a covered DO on the Egg and it was hands down better than in our oven.Many family members noticed the difference. I don't know what or how but I prefer most of my meals cooked on the Egg.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I do understand your thoughts. I thought the same thing till I went to my first Eggfest.
    Texas Eggfest, my first, many years ago. Meet and greet Friday night that almost never ended. Waking Sat morning feeling like road kill.
    The cure:
    CelticPI.jpg

DSC00048eggmushham.jpg

Spring Chicken and Spring Hen, Celtic Wolf, Chubby and his better half are only a few of the talented crew that give us the morning jump start we need.

DSC00108springchickenandhen.jpg

Hale to the "Morning Crew"...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    I have had ALL of the same thoughts. Seems like a lot of trouble and no real reward (other than it being more fun than the stovepot.)

Ditto on the Dutch Oven. That seems crazy to me.

Now, my house stinks like the dickens after cooking more than a few strips of bacon. I can see moving outside to prevent your house from smelling like slightly burned grease for the day.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the best kind. if you are gonna be a prizzick, might as well be judgmental. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    you have never had pan fried walleye with, eggs and fried potatos before!!! Best breakfast!!
  • Fidel
    Options
    see...it was a joke. perhaps a poor one meant to play on the unintentional omission of a letter.

i best keep my day job.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Well, I will be the first to say that those pics look like some mighty good eats! I especially like the look of the egg wrapped in prosciutto (I think?). Was that Leroy and Judy's dish? Even I might have to try that one!! Though I will probably do it in the evening. I do draw the line at wearing a Texas apron though!

I'm sure there are many other things that would benefit from being cooked on the egg as well. Steak (for steak and eggs) and fish (Fidel notwithstanding) for example. And once the egg is hot from the steak or fish, obviously you might as well cook the rest of the meal. But I am much less creative when I think of breakfast. Pancakes or plain old bacon and eggs has always been about it for me. That's the sort of cook I was thinking of when I started this. I can see that there are certainly some dishes that would benefit from the egg... just not the sort of cook I normally would do for breakfast.

However....... I didn't start this thread to tell you breakfast cookers that you were wrong to use the egg. I was interested in seeing why you felt that an egged breakfast was worth the hassle of lighting, stabiliizing temp, etc. I know that breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day. And yet, I've just never been able to get into it. Always seem to be in too much of a hurry.

A picture is worth a thousand words though. And this one I have GOT to try!!

DSC00048eggmushham.jpg

And as a side note to Zip... it's not that I don't love the egg, it's simply that I don't much love to COOK! I DO cook, most every night. And almost always on the egg. I honestly don't remember the last time I used my oven. It's just that cooking, in general, is not my favorite thing to do. Most food is much better when it's not raw though! :) And it's better still when it's egged! And so I continue on....

And I have been convinced to try some new (for me) stuff for breakfast! Probably not plain old bacon & eggs, but I will try to be more creative. Thanks to all who replied!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    C'mon Darian it was the Poolgirl that really fixed you up B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Well, Chubby's Chick is awesome!! I WILL try that! Thanks, Wess! And Ann!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I first saw them at the Texas eggfest in 2006...I'm sure you will enjoy it..

DSC00083.JPG

DSC00086.JPG

DSC10097.JPG

DSC00102.JPG