Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reducing Temp.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started a small turkey an hour ago and cannot control the temp in the Egg. At 1st it looked steady at 300 but soon took off and is now steady at 440! . I have of course shut all air vents top and bottom. This has zero effect. In an attempt to not ruin the turkey, I have opened the grill up to try to let cold air in and retard the cooking. Would it be wise to spray down the red hot coals with water?? I need help!!!
Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    tchi.gif
    <p />Richard Kraus,
    If you shut down the vents, eventually it will cool down. However, it is a slow process because all the ceramic has heated up, and all that ceramic now must cool down. As you can see in the above chart, it takes time for the ceramic and the air to cool. Opening the dome may or may not help a lot long run, because that allows air to get to the fire and lets the fire grow. I'd close the Egg, close the vents and give it 15 minutes.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Richard Kraus,
    Well,I would not spray water. Also, opening up the lid is going to fire up the charcoal. When the fire is too hot and you shut down the vents remember that the egg has residual heat and it will take a while for the heat to start reducing. When all else fails, pull the turkey out, wrap in aluminum and then work on your egg rather than burn the bird.
    Hang in there.

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Richard Kraus,[p]I'm in a very good mood today. I don't mind telling you I already wrote up a nice little story about this...involving a cousin Hector..a rather annoyed chicken..and poppa with a paint brush..but then I decided..maybe it's a little too dark for today..a little too racy..so I decided just to tell you what I'd do if my egg was way too hot and my turkey was going to burn like you read about. I'd wrap that turkey in tin foil..not celophane wrap..chances are if you do that, you'd never get back to cooking..there's just somethin about shiny wrapped half baked nakid poultry..but that just could be me.....but..where was I...oh yes tin foil..a complete turn off..anyway, I'd find me something big and cold..like a rock..or my ex..and just stuff it in there. I guarantee that'll drop your temp..it's always worked for me..and if you went with tin foil...then when that temp drops..you can put that bird back in...but if you didn't wel..I spose you'll be eating out tonight....[p]StumpBaby
  • The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks!
    When nobody responded, I tried everything I knew....which was not much. Finally stumbled on closing all down like you suggested. Took about 50 min to come down to 300. Of course now I can't get the temp over 275 but better lower than higher. The Turkey is fully browned on outside but only 128 on the inside due to it's baptism by fire. Still could come out ok if it slow cooks the rest of the way. I've had the egg for a few years but use it infrequently. In the 15 or 16 times I've used it I've never had everything go without a hitch. I need to bring a turkey to the Green Egg store and offer the Bird up in exchange for cooking tips.[p]
    Rick

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Richard Kraus,
    Sorry about the delay. I was eating green eggs and ham for breakfast and was sippin coffee when I saw your plight.
    It begs the question " Why a turkey in the morning?" The ansure I guess is BBQ addiction. I have it. Your not alone.

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Hey there Stump - hope all is well up in the north land.[p]Really like your idea of putting in a rock (or any new mass) to the egg to drop the temp - that is using your noggin![p]Cheers,
    Brian