Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3D Tv Really The Future?

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,024
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Looking for a new TV. Really didn't think much off the 3D TV when initially looking. When I was at Costco they other day they had a 3D viewing TV. I was suckered in and had to take a look. Wasn't thinking it would be anything great. A few small clips they showed were awsome! But the 3D option packages are still spendy. The glasses are $200 and some change each. Which is a joke. Just wondering if you guys think 3D TV's are the future? Do I buy the 3D option and just wait for everything to come down on price? Or is it some big dumb craze? Just wondering your thoughts....
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• This is just my opinion - but I don't think 3D TV is gonna be anything more than a fad, especially for the foreseeable future (the next 5-10 years).

Reason being, right now, there's only a handful of movies, and even less channels that offer 3D programming. Obviously this could change if there becomes a larger demand for it, but right now, it's probably only 1-2% of the total programming out there.

Another thing is that, can you imagine everyone in your home wearing those God-awful glasses to watch TV? You, your wife, your kids, etc. If you have guests over, you'd have to have extras for them if you wanted them to see the 3D effects as well.

And those glasses aren't cheap either - what is it, $100-200 per set??

Also, there's a decent size of the population who have adverse side-effects to today's 3D technology - they get headaches, nausea, etc. My girlfriend is one of those people, and so I know we won't be getting a 3D TV anytime soon.

My guess is that if they can somehow come out w/ a better technology, then maybe it'll catch on. What I'd REALLY like to see is true 3D effects WITHOUT glasses - perhaps some sort of holographic images (think the holographs from the Star Wars movies). Something that projects 360 degrees around an object, rather than just the illusion that one object is in front of another by playing mind games w/ your eyes (using different polarities, etc).

If they would come out w/ 3D holographics - I'd bet that would take off...

Again, this is just MY opinion, and I could be totally wrong - such has been the case on more than one occasion B)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Now, you said something about buying w/ the 3D option? If it's not much more $$ to do so, that might be an option.

I know some folks who bought wide-screen TVs awhile back, and they got the "option" for handling HD. That seemed to work out for my one buddy, cuz even though he has an older style rear-projection big screen with the 4:3 aspect ratio (as opposed to a flat panel newer style with the 16:9 aspect ratio) - all he had to do was just upgrade his cable box (but not his TV) to an HD cable box, and now he can watch HD programming.

So if you're planning for the future, getting the 3D option might be a good plan... but the thing is, technology changes so rapidly, the standard they finally settle on may or may not be what is in the "3D enabled" TVs right now.

So, you could end up buying a beta when it is VHS that really catches on & becomes standard!! ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    One manufacturer already has a 3D TV out that requires no glasses. Uses 9 guns to project the image. Just wait and glasses will not be needed.
  • 3D pictures have been around for more than 100 years. Remember the dual pictures that you'd look through a hand held viewer?

3D movies are over 50 years old. I remember seeing The House of Wax when I was a kid. Scared the hell out of me. Recently, I saw Avatar in 3D.

That said, I wonder why it has never caught on as mainstream. It's fun as a diversion, but I don't think it will ever be accepted as the norm. I like going to the freak shows at the fair, but I'd never want to live in one. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• LOL, I'm late seeing this post because I have been setting up my Sony 3D HDTV. Just recently Sony had a bundle where you could buy the 3D HDTV, 160Gb Sony PlayStation 3 w/Gran Turismo 5 and movie Grown Ups and 2 pairs of 3D glasses w/ Disney's 3D Alice in Wonderland movie for just under half price. I picked it up and a 4 year extended warranty and surge protector for $10 less then I thought it was going to be. The store I got it from was under selling Sony by at least $300. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I talked to the corporate office for the store and they were sold out in some states well before the promotion ended.
    The Sony 46" Bravia 3D HDTV is stunning! The picture quality is superb, blacks are jet black, contrast is very good and it has plenty of brightness. With a 240 refresh rate it should handle the PlayStation 3 just fine.
    Directv has three 3D stations already and about 11 more in the works. I am in the process of upgrading my service to HD, at the moment they have a promo where you might be able to get it for free like I am, over 160 channels.
    I have seen clips from Avatar in 3D and I can't wait for it to come out in March, it is outstanding!
    The 3D will be fun but it is not the cornerstone to the system. This system has great HD as well as the 3D.