Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Christmas Caraway Rye

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
edited 9:02PM in EggHead Forum
We are hunkered down, blizzard conditions and the snowdrifts are getting deep. This is a good time as any for baking bread and I'm experimenting with a sweet caraway rye for Christmas Eve dinner. Proofed two loaves a little too long but otherwise I'm very happy with results. There's toasted caraway and anise seed in this. Brown sugar and a touch of molasses make rye bread almost a dessert.

425 degrees for 35 minutes, indirect setup with plate setter, extra fire ring and grid. Got the egg going 1 hour before baking for a clean burning fire with a fully heated dome. Works for me. I'm using unglazed stoneware bread pans.

In the old days bread was baked at home twice a week every week. I'm lucky to bake twice a month. :whistle: I sliced while the bread was still warm....

Yummmmmmmm! Very tender and flavorful....I'm makin more.

• Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Nice one--that platesetter is really clean, too!
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Thanks. This is my 'Baker Egg', gets all the brick oven baking done and the plate setter stays clean.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,700
    "Brown sugar and a touch of molasses make rye bread almost a dessert. "

Indeed! My mother used to make a huge quantity of Swedish Rye a few times a year. Half was given as presents, the other half frozen. For several years as a young teen, my after school snack was not cookies, but a thick slab of toasted rye, smeared with butter.

Unfortunately, being a boy, she never bothered showing me how she made it. I've dug into a few of her cookbooks, but found no recipe. Guess she just did it from memory.
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,337
    Masterful as always, Clay. And since you have all that nice warm bread, I hope you won't mind keeping that snow there for now :ermm: , we're not quite ready for it yet :laugh:
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I'm headed over Clay! Looks perfectly delicious!!
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    Great bread story! Well I'll guess that your Mom made her rye bread without a recipe because she didn't need one... went by experience and good judgment. You were lucky to grow up on homemade bread.

I did not use a recipe, went by eye. I like the creative aspect and willing to take the risk of not sticking to set ingredients and amounts. When I make bread it's an adventure, when I taste it, a discovery.

You can re-create the rye bread your Mom made by making it yourself,~ it may take a while but you can do it by trial and error. Give it a shot. You will have fun.
    Plows just went by and I got a 4' pile in front of the driveway and side walk. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. ha ha ha :S
    Thanks Zip. It's toasted bread and stove top expresso coffee for breakfast.
    Nothing say "Winter" like the sound of an 8 horse snowthrower coughing as it warms up. :silly:
    Actually, I enjoy the cold and snow.
    Ok!, would you like coffee or tea with? ;)
  • Is there really any better way to spend a snowbound day than by baking homemade bread? How warm and cozy! :)

Clay, don't forget to post some pics of the snow.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,700
    Its taken me about a year, but I am finally making a pretty good sourdough. (Got my starter out for feeding right now) I've tried a rye, but it was no where near the dark dense loaf my mother made. I have a good ways to go.
  • egretegret Posts: 4,036
    Dang...that looks some kinda good, Clay! :ohmy: Gonna go get some started right now! :woohoo:
    Ha ha ha, really wanna see snow? We got the stuff hanging from the roof, kinda like a gingerbread house. I'll go take a pic, hang on sweetie... :cheer:
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    that right there is heaven with some butter on top LOL Was just looking at Anadama bread recipes... one of my favorites. used to be a bakery in Bangor that made home breads and Thursday was Anadama day.... no matter how much they made if you were not there by 10 it was gone almost cried when they closed...
    Outside our office and another from the bathroom window.

Sounds good John! Have fun! :)
  • Thanks Clay! :)
    We had a bakery in Milwaukee like that, small Mom and Pop place, German style and they made the BEST dinner rolls on earth along with other things like butter horns, snooks, German rye, semils, chocolate cakes. When they retired we took a loss. :(

Make that Anadama bread!
  • That is outstanding Clay - my stomach growled at me.

Hope you guys get some better weather soon.
    Thanks Frank.
    Blizzards don't bother me much, I'm stayin home and the liqueur cabinet is well stocked so I'm good. :laugh:
  • WWSisWWSis Posts: 1,448
    man that looks good! :whistle:
    Thanks Julia!
    Have fun snowmobiling!