Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Christmas Caraway Rye

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,415
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are hunkered down, blizzard conditions and the snowdrifts are getting deep. This is a good time as any for baking bread and I'm experimenting with a sweet caraway rye for Christmas Eve dinner. Proofed two loaves a little too long but otherwise I'm very happy with results. There's toasted caraway and anise seed in this. Brown sugar and a touch of molasses make rye bread almost a dessert.

BGEChristmasCarawayRye0001.jpg

425 degrees for 35 minutes, indirect setup with plate setter, extra fire ring and grid. Got the egg going 1 hour before baking for a clean burning fire with a fully heated dome. Works for me. I'm using unglazed stoneware bread pans.

BGEChristmasCarawayRye0003.jpg

In the old days bread was baked at home twice a week every week. I'm lucky to bake twice a month. :whistle: I sliced while the bread was still warm....

BGEChristmasCarawayRye0006.jpg

Yummmmmmmm! Very tender and flavorful....I'm makin more.

BGEChristmasCarawayRye0007.jpg

Comments