Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL full of Moinks

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a small church gathering to attend last night and brought an appetizer.

Decided to make my own meatballs. Store was out of ground pork so used breakfast sausage
IMG_4876800x600.jpg

Added couple T of Hoockie Mama, some garlic, chopped green onion, and two eggs
IMG_4877800x600.jpg

I had partially cooked the bacon in the microwave and had four paper towels and a paper plate soaked with bacon grease - used them to light the XL B)
IMG_4878800x600.jpg

IMG_4880800x600.jpg

In the smoke with a little pecan
IMG_4883800x600.jpg

Sauced with Sweet Baby Rays
IMG_4888800x600.jpg

They went pretty fast
IMG_4889800x600.jpg

IMG_4891800x600.jpg

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Frank I will ask you the same thing I just ask Mike. Have you used pecan shells like Salt Lick?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Haven't tried them Mickey
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Those look good, Frank! I really like the idea of reusing the paper towels to light the egg--not sure if that's work in my case, because I use a MAPP gas torch to light the lump. Plus, I could just see my wife rolling her eyes at me when I'd ask her not to throw away the bacon plate/paper towels...
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    The moinks look great! Perfect finger food for a Christmas gathering.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Frank, Nice job!! I could put some of those back this morning!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    That's a lot of moink balls Frank! They look yummy, no wonder they went fast. :)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Yeah Mike - I normally use a weed burner. my bride normally looks at me as if I'm crazy but if I asked her to save oil soaked towels she would know I went over the edge. :ermm:

Only did it because I had them left over from crisping the bacon in the microwave.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    All,

I had a couple lessons learned

I wanted to get the bacon crispy and sauce the moinks when they hit 130-135 so they would end up closer to 140.

Par cooking the bacon in the microwave made some of the ends crispy and difficult to wrap. The meatballs cooked much faster than I thought and the bacon still didn't crisp up enough for my taste.

I know the normal practice is to use precooked frozen meatballs. Issue: Difficult to push a skewer through a frozen meatball so you have to let them thaw a bit and then they are waaaayyyy overcooked to crisp up the bacon.

I think next time I will skewer the bacon in a circle on the skewer, put them on the egg and get them real crispy, then form the meatball in the bacon.

With all that said they were mightyfine. :)
  • stevesails
    Options
    i made moinks also last night. precooked meatballs, thawed them out, wrapped each in a half a piese of bacon.
    Cooked indirect at 350 for a 75 minutes. On quite a few the bacon was burnt so, the kids got those. took the rest to the party and it was the only appetizer that was gone at the end of the night.

I used some dizzy pig on the meatballs before wrapping and some tennesse whisky based BBQ sauce, I will probably not use the dizzy dust (or less) and watch the bacon a little better.

hard to do in the dark, going to get one of those head mounted lights from Harbor Freight.!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Those look pretty good. What if you made the meatball a little bigger? Do you think the bacon would crisp then?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Beeeeautiful Frank! Great use of a paper plate too, never would have thought of that.