Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepperoni Rolls

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy,

So we recently had a potluck dinner at work, and this was my contribution. This is an old recipe that originated in West Virginia. It's similar to a calzone, or a pizza pocket. However, it uses bread dough.

Ingredients needed:
1.) Pepperoni (either slices or stick - I prefer slices)
2.) Cheese (anything from mozzarella, to provolone, to whatever you prefer). This time I used Sargento 4 cheese Italian (shredded Mozarella, Provolone, Asiago, & Romano)
3.) Bread dough

The cool thing about pepperoni rolls is that they can be used as a main dish, a snack, or an appetizer (this year I cut them up into bite-sized pieces as a "finger food" appetizer). They can be eaten fresh out of the oven, re-heated, or even room temp (my Mom used to make batches of these during hunting season for us to take up into the woods to eat while hunting).

Normally these are made in an oven, but this time I thought I'd try them on the Egg.

The procedure for making them is:

1.) thaw out bread dough, tear off and "flatten out" pieces (size is up to you, some folks make them very large to serve as a main dish, others very small). For me, since I knew I was going to be cutting these into bite-size pieces, I rolled the dough out flat to a little larger than the size of my palm.

2.) techniques vary, but I then place a layer of pepperoni slices, followed by a layer of shredded cheese, then another layer of pepperoni, then another layer of cheese. Some folks use stick pepperoni, and if so, they cut the stick into smaller rectangular sticks (think a rectangular Slim Jim). If that's the case, then 2 sticks usually per roll will suffice.

proll01.jpg

3.) Roll up the bread & pinch off to encase the pepperoni & cheese

proll02.jpg

4.) Bake on a cookie sheet at 375 for about 15-20 minutes***

proll03.jpg

*** For the Egg, I noticed I had to modify the cook a bit - what I noticed was that I had to put the ceramic feet on top of the plate setter, then place the cookie sheet on top of the feet to create an air gap (first batch turned out a bit burnt on the bottom due to the heat created by the cookie sheet being right on top of the plate setter). So with the air gap, the bottoms won't get burnt. I also flipped them about ever 7 minutes or so to keep them from burning.

They turned out very well, as good as in the oven. However, I was hoping for some smoke to infuse the dough similar to when I make pizza. However, these didn't taste much different than when made in the oven. I used normal BGE lump, with no wood chips.

That's how I normally do my pizzas, and the BGE lump is enough to provide a hint of smoke to the pizza crust.

My question:

Do you guys think next time I need to actually put some chips in there to make more smoke?

Variations on this are that, once it is baked, some folks slice them open & apply nacho cheese, and/or chili, and/or jalapenos, etc.

That's another cool thing - the variations are endless!!!

Anyway, hopefully those of you looking for something different to make for a potluck, or for a quick & easy meal or snack - here ya go!!! :)
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    looks like nice snacking B)
  • Booking It
    Options
    That looks like a great on the go snack! Is that just regular white bread dough or is it kind of a hybrid bread/pizza dough? The hubby would love something like this for the long car trips that we seem to be taking every weekend!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Traditionally, it is just regular white bread dough. I use the frozen store-bought stuff, but people also make their own dough.

And yes, they make great road-trip foods - we've taken them on camping trips, hunting trips, road trips, etc.

Also, as far as the bread dough - that's what I was thinking might be the problem with infusing the smoke - I was wondering if pizza dough is less dense than bread dough, and as such, can accept more smoke than bread dough?

For those who actually bake bread in the Egg - does the bread have a hint of smoke to it? do you notice it having LESS smoke than pizza?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    HH . . . Thanks for the pics of your step by step!

Still on my "List"! :ohmy:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Options
    Those look delish.

I have used wood chips with pizza/bread before and the results weren't that great. They were way too smokey for my taste. It seems bread will absorb that smoke even better than meat.