Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ROLLED FLANK STEAK

glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wann try to do the mad max rolled flank steak thing
In the recipe he calls for a good sized flank steak , butterflied
can some one enlighten me on the proceedure of butterfling the flank steak how thick sould it be to begin with??
please help if you can
thanx
Glenn

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Glenn,The ones I buy are usually about an inch thick.
    Lay the steak flat if you can in the freezer till semi-froze state. This will help keep it rigid to butterfly.
    Lay flat on board and take knife and cut horizontly through the meat till you are about 1 inch from cutting all the way through.
    Partially frezzing makes it easier to cut in a even fashion, as it holds it shape for you while you slice.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Bob
    And by the way, the recipe is awsome.

• Glenn,
    i try to find flank steaks that are at least 2 pounds. ..they don't get much bigger than that, with a nice oval shape. . .your butcher will be happy to butterfly it for you, but i've found that they tend to be not as careful as i am. . .the easiest way to do it, is first, throw the steak flat in the freezer for about 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour to 'firm' it up. .. .lay it flat on your carving board (if you are right handed), with the thin end on your right. .. take a long bladed sharp knife. ..holding it parallel to the board, with your left hand flat on the steak, start slicing it from right to left through the middle, occasionally lifting the top portion to make sure you are staying even. ..i go ahead and cut all the way through the steak, ending up with two even, thin, flat steaks for the rolls . .they should look like the original flank steak, only half as thick. .they are a good size to then work with for your rolls. . .[p]i just checked, unfortunately i don't have a picture of the slicing, . . .hope this helps. . .[p]max

• glenn
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I have 1 additional dumb question and I hope I am not imposing
    But what is the mix of the oil and vinegar
    I had the butcher at Albertsons butterfly the steak for me and I got 1 thick side and one really thin side
    Next time I will do it myself ;) [p]

• Glenn,
    no problem. .. . i mix the oil and vinager like i would for a salad dressing (i have to admit, i don't bother measuring. .. so say maybe 3 to 1 oil to vinager). .. you can also substitute newman's balsamic vinager dressing, or any other balsamic vinager dressing for that matter. .. . [p]yea, i've had butchers do kind of a lousy job as well. . .don't worry about it though. . just spread it out and roll it up anyway. .. they'l be fine. . ..

• glenn
    Glenn,
    Thanks for the help
    I have the steaks maranating got the peppers broiling.
    We are going to do this thing ;)
    I'll post some pictures a little later
    thanx again
    Glenn

• Glenn,
    good luck, i'm sure they'll be great .. .

• glenn
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Dad-nab-it
    I posted a follow up to myself
    I ment to say thank you to you and painter for the help
    sometimes I just cant get it right
    Glenn