Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Paella experts out there?

joec
joec Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have decided to learn to cook Paella recipes on the GE. Any advice would be appreciated. I have the XL and also, next to it, a double ring LP burner. Want to do this on the GE though. What size pan is the biggest? I see the measurements of the pan, but not including the handles. What temp is best? Carbon steel or stainless pan? If on the GE, do I use the platesetter?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I do mine in a cast iron enameled copco pan, they are no longer made. Think about 16" with handles, hard to get to to measure. I think Little Steven has a great source for a pan.

http://www.paellapans.com/Pans-s/3.htm

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715388&catid=1

Scallops, Rice, Paella, Richard Fl.

I have been cooking this dish and variations for over 20 years, but this is the first time on the BGE. Will do more for sure. This was prompted by the BGE Aug '09 throwdown where the ingredients were scallops, pistachios, cumin and rice. Like to use chicken drumettes also.

INGREDIENTS:
    Step 1
    3 3 1/2 Ozs Pkg Spanish Chorizo, Sliced thin on diagonal
    1 Large Onion, Diced or Sliced thin then in half, your choice
    4-5 Ozs Pickled hot red peppers, diced medium, Peppadew style
    1 Tsp Cumin
    4 Ozs Pistachios
    1-2 Tbs Spanish Saffron
    Olive oil to sauté
    Step 2
    2 Cups Aborio/Valencia rice
    Step 3
    10 Ozs Can Clam Juice
    8 Ozs White Wine, Chardonnay
    22 Ozs Chicken Stock
    Step 4
    6-8 Ozs Frozen Green Peas
    6-8 Ozs Conch, Pounded to tenderize and then sliced into thin 2 inch pieces
    Step 5
    Red Bell Pepper, Top for center, Slices layed on top
    12-15 Pieces Fresh Asparagus
    Step 6
    12-15 Fresh Little Neck Clams
    12-15 Fresh Mussels, regular or New Zealand Green Lips
    12-15 Shrimp, 16-20 count, may be peeled or not
    8-10 Shrimp, 16-20 count, Heads on for presentation, use bamboo skewers to keep from curling.
    Equiptment:
    16 Inch Paella Pan

Procedure:
    Step 1
    1 Bring BGE up to 350°F and using a spider in high position, placed the paella pan on spider and poured in 2-3 ozs EVOO to sauté onion and chorizo. Little cherry wood chips for flavor.
    Step 2
    1 After the onions are translucent add the rice and get coated with oil and drippings from chorizo.
    Step 3
    1 Add liquid and saffron and bring to a boil.
    Step 4
    1 Add peas and conch.
    Step 5
    1 After 15 minutes cooking, add the asparagus and bell pepper.
    Step 6
    1 20-22 minutes of cooking add the seafood, turning the mussels and clams so when they open the hinge is at the bottom for presentation. When the seafood is done about 10-12 minutes and the liquid is gone, remove and let rest for 10-15 minutes. If the liquid is not gone and the shrimp are done, remove them.
    Step 7
    1 Enjoy, Served with some Sterling Chardonnay.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, Throwdown #2, 2009/08/27
  • Joec,

Have you found the Whiz's paella page? Good advice here. I mostly followed this for my 1st one, and it turned out great. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

Good luck,

-John
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I prefer carbon steel pans. I cook direct at about 400&deg or so on a raised grid.

Kinda like so:

PaellaDone062009.jpg

No matter what recipe you use, a drained can of quartered artichoke hearts is absolutely mandatory in my book. Won't make paella without 'em.
  • He was asking for experts. I think that stike is the only one that is truly qualified.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• joec
    joec Posts: 22
    Any advice appreciated, expert of not!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    i'm no expert in anything. More of a blowhard know-it-all.

Been called a jack of all trades, master of none.
  • Joec

Follow the advice on the Naked Whiz's site -- I use it all the time and it always turns out great. In fact, paella is one of our favourites. I use a pan suggested by Little Steven -- made by Typhoon. Do a search on Amazon and you should find it.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    I always cook mine direct on a raised grid at 400. If I'm adding seafood I'll wait till the rice is just about perfect and then add it. Watch how much liquid is in your rice as it cooks. Prior to adding the seafood, does the rice need more liquid to cook? If it does, add more. Once my seafood is on and the rice is just about done I completely open my bottom vent and take the daisy wheel off. This will help add convection to cook the seafood you just added and it will help with the soccorat or the crisp bottom. Once you hear crackling it should be done. Let it go another minute. Pull it off and let it rest for a couple of minutes before serving.

Don't worry about it not being perfect the first couple of times because it will still taste awesome. This is definitely one of those dishes that you learn by doing several times. One other thing I like to do is add a chunk of citrus wood right before I add the liquid to the pan.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I've had Fidel's Paella which is the best I have ever had. It is also the only. ;) Really he does a phenomenal job & it's a wondeful dish.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    goan fark, yussef, li'l steven :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    he was the first one to mind for me too Steven... amazing how he is a legend in his own time.... :P :lol::whistle:
  • I am NO expert...For sure... And totaly assured myself of that when I went to Websters.....
    I tried to look "expert" up in the dictionary and had a bit of trouble...But I did find:
    Ex: "prefix; has been"
    And...
    Spirt: "drip under pressure" :P :P :P
    No matter...Here is how I make it.

PAELLA
    (Seafood with Rice)
    Dad's kitchen
    With inspiration from The Art of Mexican Cooking
    Serves 6 to 8

1 t. chilli powder
    2-3/4 C. chicken broth
    1/2 C. olive oil
    3 Med. sized onions, diced
    2 chickens, cut (2lb. broilers or 2lbs. boneless chicken thighs or breasts)
    1/4 lb. ham, diced
    2 C. rice
    1 lb. (61-70) Med. shrimp
    12 oz. Bay Scallops
    12 to 24 fresh clams, rinsed well.
    ((2 (6.5 oz.) cans of chopped or minced clams))
    12 thin slices of Chorizo or Italian sausage
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 to 3 tomatoes, chopped
    ((1 (15 oz.) can chopped tomatoes))
    1/2 t. saffron
    1 t. oregano
    1/2 C. dry white wine
    3/4 C. each of fresh, or fresh frozen, corn and peas
    Pimientoes
    Salt and pepper to taste

1)) Heat the chicken broth and chilli powder in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then low simmer.

2)) Heat the oil in a heavy cassarole or Lg. saute' pan, add the onions and saut' to a good sweat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides.

3)) Add the ham and rice. Once the rice absorbs the oil, add 1 C. of the hot broth. When the broth is absobed, add another cup of broth. Reduce the heat to Med. low and continue to simmer until the chicken and rice are "nearly" tender.

4)) Add the shrimp, scallops, clams and sausage, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

5)) In a muddler: Blend together the garlic, saffron, oregano and remaining broth. Strain this liquid into the casserole, add the wine, corn, peas and salt and pepper to taste. Mix through and heat thoroughly (about 5 - 10 minutes)
    Decorate with pimiento slices