Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FROZEN stuck lid

PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I scraped eight inches of snow off my medium and table today and it wouldn't open. I HOPE it's just frozen and will thaw out and open, and also hope that now since I pulled it under the porch roof it won't get covered with snow again. But, is it cooked shut like other people talk about? What to do? It's not the original felt gasket. I have the rutland style woven high temp gasket that is made for self cleaning ovens, only on the gottom rim. Top is bare ceramic. I may need some help here, please.

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Can you remove the ceremic top and drop in a fire starter to warm things up?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • PattyO
    I can do that.Let's see if it defrosts as the temps rise today, and that's the first thing I'll try. Thanks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    take the daisy off, and shove some newspaper spritzed with cooking oil into the vent and under the fire grate. then spark it off. it will eventually light and thaw the gasket
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    You could move to FL where we don't have that problem. Someone once used a hair dryer around the perimeter?
  •  
    For me one of the only reasons to have starter cubes on hand.

We had 26" of snow the other day. My large was OK but the medium was frozen shut. The fix is easy.

If the is no plate setter or other obstruction over the lump bed then light a starter cube or two and drop it down through the top vent.

and... put 1 or 2 light starter cubes in the lower vent under the fire great. Then wait for the egg to heat up and you are off an running.

On the bottom vent I usually use 2 oil & paper towel lit pieces under the fire grate.

This doesn't happen often, but I find the problem happens if it is raining and or snowing during a cook and the temperature is close to or below freezing. I don't cover my eggs and this may happen a few times during the winter months.

Now if the weather is close to or freezing I have a 1/4" thick piece of wood (or wood chip)I use. When I am done cooking, and the egg has cooled to about 100° or lower, I place the spacer between dome and base. I remove the spacer the next day or if the cook was in the morning I remove it before I go to bed. Haven't had a frozen lid since.

GG
  • This same thing happened to me when I first got my Egg up here in "Doweast Maine" I now try to remember to put a thin shingle between the lid and base so the gaskets won't freeze. So far it has worked.
    Edna
  • I just had the same thing happen. I went out to clean out my XL and it was frozen shut. A starter cube down the vent cured it. I let it burn out and that raised the temp inside enough to free up the dome. I have toasted felt gaskets (or whats left of them).
    I was replacing my firebox and fire ring, both of which had cracked. I noticed the new firebox has a slot cut out to allow for expansion without the danger of a crack, like what I had.
    Naturally, this was a warranty issue so I am out no money. Love my egg!
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Poor egg Bring it inside, wrap in your electric blanket and turn it up to max. :evil: :whistle: :silly:
  • PattyO
    I didn't know about using the spacer. This is my first winter. I'll do that,,,, after I get the thing open. My lower vent is shut too, but that should relax. I'll get out the hair dryer later.
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Patty,
    No frozen Eggs here on the 'right' (east) side of the state. :)
  • The starter cube should do it! That is why I decided to use a cover, whatever the cover is. I just like to be able to start cooking ASAP without dealing with brushing off the Egg - I do enough of that with my car this winter!
  • crzyedna

Do you put the shingle in as it is cooling down? My original large is starting to seize up as it is getting colder although a good tug still gets the lid to open. I was wondering if some tin foil would do the trick.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• PattyO
    Not yet, just learned that trick. This is my first winter.
  • PattyO
    She just needed thawed out. Opened up easily, also the lower vent. Now I will use shingle spacers. Thanks all for your hints and help.
  •  
    :) Brushing off the egg or egg cover... Mox Nix

GG
  •  
    ummmm... with the lower vent closed not sure how long the upper flame will keep burning, there is not a lot of oxygen inside the egg and I am not sure how much would flow down the upper vent.

That will be interesting to hear about.

The lower vent should be pretty easy to thaw loose, a little MAPP should do the trick very quickly. If you use flame of any type on the lower vent be careful the silicone possibly won't stand up to well.

GG
  • I usually put the shingle piece in after the cool down. Never tried the foil, but it just might work.

Edna