Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT? Meat Slicer Help Please

Jupiter Jim
Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
KayNOcook and I would like to get an electric meat slicer for the #1 Son, we know the Eggheads can help.$100.00 range!
Thanks in advance,
Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Comments

• I bought one at Harbor freight for $40! I never even heard of that place til I read about it here, someone even knew a coupon code and that's why is was so cheap.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Jupiter Jim
    Hi Faith,
    Do you like it? Do you have a model number?
    Thanks, JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I have been getting catalogs from a website midwesternresearch.com. They make a lot of higher end meat processing equipment, spices, etc. They have a 9" slicer that I have been eyeing for $119, which looks to be a lot better quality than the 7.5" units I have found at other websites. I know it is a little over your budget, but a great meat slicer - what a treat! Maybe you could borrow it on the weekends :lol: :woohoo: :whistle: :ermm: !!!

Good luck!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    That one looks a lot like the Waring models that are sold in Kohl's, Macy's, Sur La Table, Williams Sonoma, and a few other retailers that carry them.

After calling around, only a few carry them in store anymore.

Williams Sonoma, Macy's, and Sur La Table had them.

I just yesterday used the one i bought last week at Sur La Table. It was the Waring Pro (although ALL the warings are called the Waring Pro for some damned reason), this one in all stainless. At W&S and Macy's it was the unt one step down from this that was offered at 99.

This one (even being the next-'better' model) is a little light weight (slides on the counter despite suction cups), a little hard to clean behind the blade, and supposedly (according to the instructions) to be used for only 10 minutes at a time. The platform travels easily forward, but drawing it back for another slice was actually difficult. the whole thing would move, maybe that will slide easier over time. :ermm:

I would say that it is the minimum ante. I don't think you are going to get anything of serious quality at this price point. I got this because it was all stainless, retailed for 199, on sale for 149, with a 20 dollar mail-in rebate. 129. the model below it is the 99-dollar waring you will see everywhere

Chef's Choice had some decent looking ones, but EVERY slicer besides the lower end warings were mail order only. I needed one right away, and preferred to see one before buying blind.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I bought this model to use as a backup if my rivel dies. It is still in the box 2 years later, but appears sturdy and well made. Also google rival meat slicers, there are several models under $100. Mine is stainless and gets used about 6-8 times a year and have had it for over 20 years.

http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-food-slicer-42787.html
  • Jupiter Jim
    Thanks stike thats the kind of info I'm looking for.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That appears to be the Weston 610901W slicer. I've read a few reviews and apparently it's either perfect or horrible. Lots of stores sell it, including Amazon. Best price I saw was $100.99 (sale price) at

http://www.qualitymatters.com/Weston-9-inch-Meat-Slicer-61-0901-W-p/qm61-0901-w.htm

I bought my Weston vac sealer from them and was pleased with their customer service and with that Weston product. Don't own a slicer though.

You might also check craigslist for used slicers. You might find a Globe or Hobart for $100... but don't hold your breath! Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jim, mine is the Chef's Choice 610. I checked Harbor Freight for you and it looks like they aren't carrying it right now. There is one on Ebay for $75 new with $12.50 shipping:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/110451751422?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=183000154651&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=?*I7&GUID=d6068b6512c0a47a2f676cc7ffb606e0&itemid=110451751422&ff4=263602_304662

I knew I got a great deal on mine.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think i am going to make do with what i have, but i'm gonna beg my father to steal back the commercial on he donated to his community center. hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jupiter Jim
    Michael,
    Yes that is one that we are looking at, so many to pick from. Thanks for the help.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Faith, what do you use it for the most? My son likes to bake a turky breast and slice for sandwiches.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Jim I'll check the model when I get home but this ittle one was only about $35 20 years ago and I've never had a problem

100_3587.jpg
  • Jim, I use it for buckboard bacon and turkey breast. Next will be Italian beef. It's a pain to clean it after, but it's well worth it if you have alot of slicing to do.