Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Smoked Baby Backs?

Options
ATX
ATX Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about doing a few racks tomorrow. Never smoked bb's w/ apple wood though. Mesquite, Hickory, Cherry (great by the way), but never apple. I plan on using chunks soaked overnight. Any advice from Egglandia?

Thanks in advance,
Amaury

P.S. I've also got some Hickory & Alder chunks as well as apple. Thinking the Alder would be a bad choice, but a hickory apple combo may work. Torn between that and just straight apple. As always any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Saludos de Austin, TX

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Apple smoked are our preference actually. Nice, mild sweet smoke. No need to soak though. Just bury in your lump in the areas you plan to light. You will like them very much. Planning to smoke some buckboard bacon in apple wood myself tomorrow.
    If you are one that likes the smoke to "knock you over" strong, apple may not be for you. But honestly, we think it's the best. Happy Eggin'!!!
    (ps: if you liked the cherry, you will like the apple!) :)
  • ATX
    Options
    Thanks LC. Sometimes I'm in the mood for major smokage but other times not. I'm doing a brisket for Xmas that I plan to absolutely blast with Mesquite smoke for at least 12hrs. Plus I always like to try new combinations and tweak my old standbys. Enjoy your buckboard cook. Gotta try that one myself one of these days. Happy Eggin'!
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I find a blend of hickory/apple works very well for pork. It is probably second only to hickory/cherry. I like to use one fist sized chunk hickory to two of fruitwood.

You don't need to soak them but I don't think it hurts either.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Note what LC said - with an Egg, there is no need to soak chunks or chips, once the dome is closed, they will smolder and produce all the smoke and smoke flavor you need.

Another trick, you might already know, is to have your ribs as cold as you can get them (some even briefly put them in the freezer) just prior to putting on the Egg. The longer they can be exposed to the smoke before the outside of the meat reaches 140*, the better smoke ring you will get in your finished product. The smoke FLAVOR will continue throughout the cook, but the red ring will stop at 140* or so.

Post your results!
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    I love the hickory/fruit wood combo n pork. I am like NibbleMeThis in I like Hickory/Apple the most and Hickory/Cherry a close second for ribs.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • ATX
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the pointers. Gotta love this forum and the people on it. I'm going for a Hickory/Apple blend, mostly apple.

I have used the freezer trick and found it to work very well. Ribs will be going on at Noon.

Right now I'm gonna egg some cheddar garlic bisquits for bfast and later on some Nachos for lunch.

Thanks again all!
    -A
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    apple is great. a little mild, you may wan to use more than you are used to. soaking isn't necessary.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante