Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use the egg cover?

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, i just received my egg yesterday. I'm about as green (pun intended) as one can be. Not only to the egg specifically but to smoking generally. So, here is my first newbie question:

Should I cover my egg when not in use. The first salesperson I spoke with told me 80-90% of people do not cover their egg but then when my wife went and purchased it, the store manager told her it was highly recommended. I'm afraid maybe she got up-sold.

Is there a consensus on this issue? I would rather not cover it if it is not needed. This would save the $100 for the cover and would be more aesthetically pleasing imo.

Thanks,

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    The elements will not hurt your BGE. Just remember to put the rain cap on and close your vents when finished using your BGE. Put your daisy wheel inside your BGE also....the cover isn't necessary IMHO.... :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,744
    Options
    cant see covering them, i have three and they are in no way taken care of :laugh: one is chipping but its a covered defect if i ever wanted to return it, the other 2 have been fine for years thru newengland winters etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i have never covered mine.

brrrr_HOT.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I cover mine because I have my large in a table and I like to keep my tools and stuff I have stored in/on the table clean and dry.

I bought a small this summer (yes, you will be more eggs as well :evil: ) and I did not have a cover. I noticed I was getting moisture inside the egg when it rained even though I had the rain cap on. So I said screw it and I got a $40 cover from a dealer near me. I am happy with it.

But like everyone said, you do not HAVE to cover it.
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    My wife bought my Egg for me as well. She also purchased a cover the goes over the Egg and Table. I have never used it in over 5 years. For one thing I use my Egg at least 4 times s week so it never cools down long enough to put it on.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I would guess, based on the comments below, that with an egg and a nest it isn't required.

Like one other I have a long table for my large. We sealed it with poly, but the sun can still take a toll so I got the cover. I also like that the snow and rain does not sit directly on the surface of the egg or the wood. I am sure I am being a little over-protective, but I am that way.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I'm one of the few that covers his Eggs. I have a large with the big table. Mimi sits on the other end of the table and, for what its worth, I like to protect my investments.

Only had the dome freeze to the base once, when I didn't cover it one winters day. Easy fix but, just the same. . .
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Up-sell in retail :whistle:
    Welcome to the cult, sit back and have fun :lol:
    Do not cover my three.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

$100 for a cover, crap!!! Spend that money on another egg.

Over 4 years in the weather. -20° to 118°. There is a small amount of fading when put side by side with a new egg. Without a new egg sitting next to them one wouldn't notice any difference.

This was last May
    snowmay24_1.jpg

snowmay24_2.jpg

bge_lge_snow.jpg

No covers used here.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    My 14 year old Large has been covered in a table, and the egg is fine, no rust in sight. I purchased a used large that sat uncovered in a shed for years and it has some rust. I suggest you keep it covered.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    I use the cover...

613_DSC07448_1.jpg

B);):) :laugh:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't cover mine. $100 seems pretty crazy. Is that for a big cover that covers a table as well? Either way...seems pretty crazy. I would return it and if you do want a cover I would look elsewhere.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• howmeisterg
    Options
    OK I guess I am crazy. I prefer to cover mine so it doesn't freeze shut after a cook when I shut it down, and the egg is still warm but cooling, and snow is falling. Uncovered, the ice that gets in the nooks and crannies of the eggmates hardware make it harder to pull the tables up and down.

I also prefer the ease with which the snow and ice can be removed before starting a cook. I tried just lifting the lid with the snow on it, but too much weight for the spring with ice and all. The cover is nice because
    it all comes off in one sheet - done.

My cover was about $70 - still steep but worth it to me for ease of winter cooking.

Just my opinion.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've been throwing a tarp on mine that i probably bought for $10. And the only reason I cover mine is I live on a corner house and I only have a chain link fence. I'd rather not tempt people by letting them know I have an egg. So covered with a tarp and pushed behind some bushes more so it won't get stolen than for protection.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Egghead Willie
    Options
    I have a tarp that I use to cover mine with. However during the summer I used it daily and I agree it never saw a cover and Im sure it would be fine but with New England harsh weather I figured I'd toss the tarp on it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Probably the best reason.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome! I have a cover that I rarely use. Usually asleep by the time the egg is cool enough. It's a very nice one, water repellent, flexible at all temps, two vents and elastic at the bottom. Total cost was $25 plus shipping. $100 is obscene! Here's the one I received as a gift...

http://www.the-cover-store.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CSP06113KH2

Also comes in black in the same non-vinyl material. I don't have egg-mates so I don't know if it would fit those, but it looks like it's baggy enough in that area. All that said, don't bother. :)

4293597063_4283dcaf65.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Nah! just build a nice covered outdoor kitchen and there's no need ;)
  • dsmith
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Welcome! I have a cover that I rarely use. Usually asleep by the time the egg is cool enough. It's a very nice one, water repellent, flexible at all temps, two vents and elastic at the bottom. Total cost was $25 plus shipping. $100 is obscene! Here's the one I received as a gift...

http://www.the-cover-store.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CSP06113KH2

Thanks for the link. I'm simply going to take my cover back. I thought it sounded unreasonbly expensive and by the sound of it maybe not even needed. Besides, I am getting rid of my propane grill and I guess i could always use my cover for that if I really wanted to.

Y'all have been very helpful!
  • popedaddy
    Options
    I would highly recomend the cover if you have the cypress table not stained or finished. If it's on a nest don't worry about it.
  • tjl5709
    Options
    Mines in a table so I cover it to protect the table. I went with a generic one from amazon. Works fine.
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    My Large is 2 years old and I've used a cover since new. I figure that the bands and metal bits aren't stainless, so I'll keep the rust at bay. The first year I used a $7 Weber cover from Lowes. It wasn't the best, but it did last a year. Then I ordered a Veranda off the internet for about $25. Very nice cover. So nice I ordered one for my JennAir grill also.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Again this is an each to his own issue, but I will add it depends on where you live. I keep my L & S covered for sake of the table they are in plus the other egg related items stored in a large plastic tub under the table. BTW I use a BGE table cover in the summer and a $5 tarp in the winter. Regardless of what the macho types tell you it is nice to go out after a freezing rain has coated everything or you have a 8" snow and merely pull off that tarp and PRESTO-CHANGEO you have smiling eggs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If I had a table, I would probably do that too. Then again, I've been in Peoria in January. If I had to cook there, I would use my oven!! Somethin' ain't right when trucks can drive across the river - without using the bridge!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    bridge??? What bridge??? Peoria, IL is the world HQ of Caterpillar...they just bull doze a path across that frozen river so the traffic can beat feet like you must have done!
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    If you can tell us your location there are lots of folks that seem to have unused covers that could be had on the cheap. Mines in Minneapolis. WLL
  • dsmith
    Options
    I'm in Knoxville, TN. We get some winter weather but nothing like when I lived up north. Sounds like a cover may not be a bad idea but the $90+tax my wife spent for the branded cover is overpriced.

Thanks.
  • RRP
    Options
    then go to any big box store like orange or blue and buy a $5 tarp.