Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long? on the Mini

Options
newegg
newegg Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to cook a cornish game hen on the Mini. I have it up to 300F and wonder when I can check the food temp?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hey, Rosie. I usually cook cornish hens at 375-400°. Raised, direct. I can't recall whether I've done one on the mini, but on the large, it only takes about 20-25 minutes til it's done. And even if you overshoot the temp, it'll still be juicy. I almost always do - and it's always great!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• newegg
    Options
    Thank you. This is my first try on the Mini. My husband let me buy it, but doesn't think the Mini is worth buying. I want to prove him wrong. :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    He is wrong. Especially for 1-2 people. Lights quick, gets hot quick, doesn't take much lump, travels well. :) Hope the hen is delicious!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• newegg
    Options
    The hen was awesome. Juicy and delicious. I decided to core some apples and put some brown sugar and butter in them and let them cook on the Mini. Hope it turns out good. I love the mini...it is so cute and seems easier to handle than the large. Blessings and thanks for the help.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You "hope" it turns out well? You KNOW that it will!! :)

Glad the hen worked for you. Go ahead, rub it in with hubby. :laugh:

Here's mine, btw... in it's winter home.

4288784976_7f6ec45ac4_b.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You will not be disappointed with the apples. One of my favs. So simple, and soooooo good.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I never light my egg without putting on fruit. Apples, pears, pineapple, peaches, plums and bananas. I made a coconut milk / palm sugar caramel for the grilled bananas. Sometimes sugar or syrup or DP Pineapple head on the other fruits. My toes are still curled. The egg is amazing and I too love my mini.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never done small hens but a spatchcocked chicken takes just under an hour.
    We have a large,small and mini: the mini is the goto grill for the two of us...
    photo-10.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.