Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Butt one last ?

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher presented me with a beautiful 9.5 lb. boston butt with a fine looking fat cap this morning. My final question is APPROXIMATELY how long should this take family is arriving at Noon tomorrow (Sunday) and I want it ready. Thinking of starting about Noon today and follow Elder Wards directions Suggestions...help
I'm nervous...

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Sundown,
    Figure about 20 hrs at 250*. Internal temp around 200*, let rest for about 45min to 1 hr and pull apart. Nothing difficult as it is probably the easiest thing to do on the EGG. Like the RONCO infomercials "Set it and forget it"

• Sundown
    Options
    JJ,
    Thanks, I feel a little more secure now. Made a batch 'o' ribs last week with your rub and a batch 'o' Cat Ribs and every one raved about both! I just love my Humpty and all'a you guys too.
    HAve a great weekend.
    Carey

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    P1010001.JPG
    <p />Sundown,[p] Roger what JJ wrote. I just started two 9 pounders at 1:00. Hopefully, they'll be ready to come off at about noon tomorrow. I prefer to cook at 200-220, so 23-24 hours is usually about right for me -- I raise the temp to 250 if I'm not quite where I want to be a few hours before supper time. Also, I usually take the meat off at about 185 internal, then wrap it up until it's time to eat. 'Course, every chunk of pork is different so you kinda have to roll with it. Also, you might want to consider getting the meat a bit earlier next time. I like putting the rub on about 1.5 days prior to cooking. Then I wrap in plastic real tight and put in the fridge until I'm ready to cook. Here's a picture of Mr. Avocado during the initial "heavy smoke low temp phase" I like to start with (lots of apple chips (ran out of sugar maple :-( )at 150F).[p]MikeO
  • Sundown
    Options
    MikeO,
    The scene looks familiar. smoke pouring from Humpty. I was following Elder Wards directions so I'l have a benchmark...of sorts...
    I laid a fist full of sugar maple in and I'm hoping for the best with this thang. Thanks for the help.
    Eat well
    Carey