Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib results

Options
Walter
Walter Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried a Prime Rib for the first time this Christmas. "Leveraged" instructions from the forum - indirect with inverted plate setter and 2nd grid with a drip pan underneath. Got the EGG up to 500* for about 10-15 minutes while I finished prepping the meat. Put it on the grill and kept the vents open for a minute or so... then closed it down to work towards 325*. Finally opened the dome at 350* and flipped the roast over on the bone end and let it cook until 125* internal.[p]Didn't really get the char'd crust I was hoping for... but the flavor on the outside and ends was fantastic (just used salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning and a little rosemary). Let it rest for 20 minutes then carved. Served up a huge slice for myself and my brother-in-law with the bone still attached... then removed the remaining bones and sliced the rest. Very, very good... if I do say so myself. May have to try direct on the grid at first for the sear then bring in the drip pan and a rack... but very well received for my first attempt.[p]Thanks to all for all the great suggestions. Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas... and best wishes for a Happy New Year![p]Walter

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Walter,
    sounds great, I do mine at 225 with the meat taken off at 125, rest for about 15 minutes then I sear it to my liking.
    Always a favorite

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Walter,
    I just did a whole tenderloin, but I did sear both sides first, and then I shut the egg down. After allowing the temp to drop a bit (450°)I then removed the grill (with the meat on) and setup a preheated platesetter and drip pan, and then put the grill and the tenderloin back in position for the indirect portion of the cook. This was a 2 person operation, and it only takes a minute.[p]I adjusted the temp for 350° and cooked until the internal was 125°, and everyone was happy. By putting the warmed platesetter in, the temp didn't drop but to about 300° after I closed it back up. So, it didn't take but a few minutes to establish the 350°. The outside temp was about -7° or so... just to make it fun.[p]This gives you a bit of a crust, it cooks real nice, and it tastes good.[p]Mike in MN

• Walter
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Sounds good. I was just telling my wife that I needed 2 EGGs... one to sear the roast and the other to cook it :)[p]I'll need a better set of mits to insert the pre-heated platesetter as I burned my fingers removing it with with pair I have now.[p]Walter
  • Walter
    Options
    tach18k,[p]How much more does it cook, searing it at the end? [p]Walter
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Walter,
    Don't preheat it quite so much..... I think taking the edge off it is good enough. Mine was sitting out in below zero weather. So, going from minus single digits into a 400° egg is not a good choice. [p]Mike in MN