Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en:Gadwalls & Green heads

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well duck season is in full swing down hear in Arkansas and the ducks are hear for the 1st time in about 10 years. Was a cold 23 degrees yesterday morning when me and my Dad went. 73 years old and loads the boat up and heads to the river every day of the 60 day season cept Sundays. Only killed 8 yesterday. Kill a 12 duck limit today but it was nasty 38 degress and rain. Did a mess of them up yesterday but first some pic.
12-037d-2010010.jpg

12-037d-2010009.jpg

12-037d-2010037.jpg

12-037d-2010025.jpg

Now to be a official J.L post...the raws:
12-037d-2010047.jpg

Breasted them out and soaked in a brine of 3/4 cup salt, one cup sugar and a quart water for 2 hours.
12-037-2010006.jpg

Wapped in bacon and jellepeno slice inside.
12-037-2010012.jpg

Wife doesn't eat duck so I fixed her a ribeye.
12-037-2010013.jpg

12-037-2010023.jpg

Cooked the duck at 275-300 direct with presimmon for about 20 min. or so till meat was firm.
12-037-2010016.jpg

Was cold Egging outside so Auron brought a log for the fire. ;)
12-037-2010021.jpg

First time to brine duck but will not be the last. Excellant!
12-037-2010025.jpg

12-037-2010028.jpg

Comments

• Looks like a great hunt & good-looking dogs, too. What did you do with the rest of the ducks? Sure wish I had 'em for a duck gumbo.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Glad you finally got the ducks in, pickin's are still a little slim up here, but we are finaly getting some water.
    Good looking cook, I have never tried brining them, I'll have to try it.
    Thanks!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post Deane thanks. Tim ;)
  • Deane, talk about raws.....can't get any more raw than that! Thanks for sharing your hunting adventure. Looks like a great time other than the weather. Nice duck and steak! :)

Love the pics of the dogs. Auron's gettin to be a big boy! :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great photos and your duck looks super.
    Your wife did OK as well. That is a nice looking steak.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    I'm glad to see Jake has the good sense to stay out of the cold...wait...why is he on top of ice cubes??? Brrrrr.... I'm with Doreen - don't eat ducks but the steak looks delicious, as always.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • JLOCKHART29
    We give as many away at the ramp as we can. I prefer Squeelers my self but after they get cold they can be a bear to roll the hide off the breast. Mallards and gadwalls roll right off and I didn't feel like fighting it. Gave all 12 to a really happy young couple today. We keep them if we can't give them to someone and eather pick of fellet them. What we don't eat we give to friends. You can imagian the ducks we kill every year with Dad hunting every day rain or shine.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    I think Doreen is a very smart girl Deane :laugh: it's like us saying welll I won't eat the tacos but I'll "just"have the whole tenderloin clever, clever, clever....mind you I really like duck
  • JLOCKHART29
    You know they are not raising the water at Feltesnthal for the next 2 years to get new pin oak regeneration so we are forced to hunt at pool. Thats why everything in pics are deadings as no flooded green timber but they are hear right now. We killed a mix bag today with mallards, squellers, a green wing, and couple Gadwalls in a little over an hour and if I could have hit anything with all the gloves and hoods on it would have been even faster. Normally I would have taken more time and enjoyed as they really wanted down in the rain/snow but it was misserable. Keep the faith. Most don't come down to Ark. till Jan. anyway. ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Judy coming from South America ya would think Jake would have a stroke with his toes in the ice but he sits and drinks tea out of it sometimes.
  • JLOCKHART29
    That was one of the better ribeys I picked up in a while. I stop by my butcher just to see what they have in the reduced case as I like them with a little age anyway. They didn't have any this time so had to get full retail on this one!LOL
  • :laugh:
    had me scratching my head with that title!!
    then - wait, that's not Auron fetching them birds!!
    glad he showed up with another log for ya :P
    will have to try that jellepino/bacon thingie with my store bought dust breasts :pinch:
    do have a couple piece of persimmon left....(major hint!)
    Merry Christmas to you, the lady of the house, and all the animals B)
  • That looks like a place I hunted for years over near Brinkley. This is the best time of year.

Try letting your duck breasts sit in an equal mixture of half & half cream and Allegro Game Tame for at least 3 hours, preferrably longer before you cook them. I promise it will take all the game out of the wild duck and they will be as tender as the best file mignon. Take it one step further and baste them with the following while grilling on the egg:
    melt one stick of margarine, 12 oz. honey and 12 oz of orange soda. Your wife or anyone else who says they don't like duck will change their mind. Good luck during the rest of duck season. Hope Santa brings you lots of Greenheads for the green egg.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Deanne, That is awesome to be able to hunt with your Dad!! Great to have the ducks back, I'm sure. The dog's all over it too.
    Both those meals look delicious!! Nice job!
    Auron next to the chiminea gives a great example of his size. Good to hear classes are going well.
    Happy Holidays!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Beautiful pics JL,as usual.Your post flung a cravin on me.I went and checked our spot this afternoon.A few Mallards but not enough for me to hunt.The vittles look Tastee.That's the I always cooked em "Back in the Day".Tell pup and Jake hello! :)
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Hey JL, why don't you shoot those "chicken ducks" (in the third pic) instead of takin pics of them you could of had ur limit :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    very cool...
    how was the duck breast in bacon with jalapeno?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Jay,

That's the kinda shiz I'm talkin about. ;) Looks friggin awesome, man.
  • Glad you got ducks! Great looking cook! It looks like Jake isn't 'bothered' too much with his distant cousins served up on the plate! :whistle:

I have not even loaded my hunting stuff into my truck this year! The drought killed us this year, as we rely 100% on run-off rain water. We are still too dry to hunt and are in the third week of our season. One of my friend's club has already killed 1/2 of last year's total harvest and it's only been two weekends of hunting!

I might have to just drive over and give your Dad a hunting partner! :ohmy:

I used to hunt Felsenthal MANY years ago with a group of younger 'bubbas'. We would stay at some place that had old converted train boxcars for rooms. Quite an adventure - always killed LOTS of ducks, though!
  • JLOCKHART29
    Thanks for the recipe. Where do you get Allegro Game Tame? Internet or some store?
  • JLOCKHART29
    Kerri I'll take care of your "problem" but it will be a bit. I have not been up to our farm and brought any posimmon back in a while and almost out. Sure it will be after Christmass before I go up again but don't let me forget! ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Tell you what. You pay the shipping and I'll shuck you a big helping those "ducks" for you!!LOL I was wondeing if any one would notice those "ducks".
  • JLOCKHART29
    They were really good Jeff. Plucked duck and dressing for Thanksgiving and grilled breast a couple times a year along with a pot or two of gumbo is about all we use duck. A man from India who trains Schutzhund with me and has trained all over the world told me about the brine. He brines them then currys. I'm going to get his recipe but they were great like this. The brine gives a hint of sweet and the pepper compliments it really nice.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Clark you stayed at The Tracks Inn!!LOL Still open and passed it this morning as I will in the morning. That neat you hunted there. Last 10 years have been tough. One year todays bag was more than a whole season. Really nice for a change. Surly you can find a place to hunt over there with you "contacts"!! :laugh:
  • Hoss
    We had some guests at camp that LOVED shootin Coots.They made "puldue gumbo" outta them and it was really Fantastic! Wuld have never believed it if I had'nt seent it!!! They were from south Lousiana.I ain't sure about the spellin but what they called them sounded like PULDUE!!! :huh:
  • Hoss, I had a friend who stayed with his young son at a fishing lodge in southern Louisiana. When sitting on the porch after supper, picking his teeth with a toothpick, he asked one of the guides, "Now what was in that great stew we had for dinner"?

Answer; Coot and Neutra !
  • Having to almost beg to get an invite to a camp. Everyone is full up with guests and we are bone dry!

Looking forward to hunting with Adam (Ripnem) and Fidel at Hoss's place in January. Hope we can bag some deer and ducks!
  • JL,

Great cook man. I always brined wild duck overnight. Maybe I was killing the flavour.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sick: Well at least they don't use 'Loney! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • well this post gives a whole new meaning to "the raws " looks like i better go buy a pig and take his picture first