Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Future Bacon

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was down in Buffalo on the weekend to visit a friend and send off my elf gift. Brought back lots of things for my EGG. Got a CI grill to go with my spider and a little cultivator to use as a lifter to remove it from the EGG. Picked up Tel-Tru thermometers for my large and mini, and the Thermapen that mollyshark had delivered for a Christmas present for my SIL.

Also grabbed some Jimmy Dean sausage for my future fatty production. Stopped in a Penzeys and got some Jerk seasoning and a few other odds and ends.

I took down a delicator (a machine used to make cube steaks) that I inherited when my old friend Hughy died. Hughy was a butcher, who at 88 was still butchering in his basement. I used to go over and help him and we would take road trips all over southern ontario to source good meat. When he died I ended up with his meat slicer, a big old scimtar knife and the delicator. It wasn't getting any use and it made sense that it went to a good home where it would be loved. T-Meadow Farm in Lockport provides heritage pork to a number of the top restaurants in the area and the owner didn't have a delicator - but loves to have the delicated pork for cutlets.

So we headed out to the farm on Sunday morning and had a nice visit. Rich had just picked up some new old spot piglets the day before.

5243046356_f8a4788263.jpg
IMG_0001 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

This would be a few larger pigs with their guard llama - apparently llamas are excellent at keeping away foxes and other predators.

5242450973_82567f4b01.jpg
DSCN2242 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Tucked away is the biggest of the males at the farm - 800 pounds - since it was a little cold he really didn't feel like coming out and visiting.

5242450911_393089e017.jpg
DSCN2238 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Some of the young ones - Tamworth and old spots and mixes.

5243046192_3132c44799.jpg
DSCN2246 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Dinner tonight - a honey brined turkey breast from Wegmans.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    That last pic has me drooling and I think I found my superbowl pig :woohoo:
  • chocdoc
    Options
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    That last pic has me drooling and I think I found my superbowl pig :woohoo:

Guessing that would be Cosmo (the 800 lb behemoth)?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Might have to use 2 eggs :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    WOW..and I had stinky cabbage and sausage! :blink: :laugh: Nice pics.Glad your equipment will be used for the Greater Good!Great Pics.I bet they look better than they smelled!!! :laugh: ;)
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    WOW..and I had stinky cabbage and sausage! :blink: :laugh: Nice pics.Glad your equipment will be used for the Greater Good!Great Pics.I bet they look better than they smelled!!! :laugh: ;)

Yes - they did have an air about them!
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Makes me.want to go back to Peru and have some from the adobe ovens they use. A lot liege eggs. Guinea pig cooked that way is good, too. Just not a lot of meat.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Makes me.want to go back to Peru and have some from the adobe ovens they use. A lot liege eggs. Guinea pig cooked that way is good, too. Just not a lot of meat.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Please tell us about: honey brined turkey breast
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chocdoc
    Options
    Mickey wrote:
    Please tell us about: honey brined turkey breast

Wegmans makes a large variety of preseasoned meats - I'm not a person who usually buys them - preferring instead to chose my own seasoning. However a couple of years ago my SIL and I were in the store and found these sitting in the case reduced for clearance - neither of us being the type to turn down a bargain on about 3 lbs of protein for about $4 we each picked up a few to bring home. They were very satisfactory - moist, well flavoured. Perhaps a bit hammy after so long in the brine - but great on the BBQ.

So essentially they are a split 1/2 breast of turkey that has been preseasoned with honey and salt. Link to product. Note they are not just a pound.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Choc Doc,
    what a great gift to give! that farm looks like a Jimmy Stewart movie!! sure brings the spirit of Christmas alive :)
    Happy Holidays
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Desert Oasis Woman wrote:
    Choc Doc,
    what a great gift to give! that farm looks like a Jimmy Stewart movie!! sure brings the spirit of Christmas alive :)
    Happy Holidays

He kept saying - "wish you could have been here when it was green". Twas a tad muddy - but the ground was fairly frozen so walking around was OK.