Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison backstrap - the cook

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to everyone for the help, especially my friend who gave me the small (100# doe) backstrap. I received lots of suggestions from my previous post and by email.

Here was/is the plan (not finished yet):

1) (Hoss' suggestion):I trimmed the meat, then cold smoked it using the same "caveman" technique for smoking cheese. I used about 2/3 apple and 1/3 hickory chips.
DSC_0403.jpg
Starting temp (probe hanging through DFDW) was 56*. DSC_0400.jpg
Smoked for 90 minutes.
DSC_0401.jpg
DSC_0402.jpg
Finishing temp:
DSC_0408.jpg
DSC_0409.jpg
Cut in half. One half went into a marinade for cooking tomorrow. The other was prepped for the grill.
DSC_0410.jpg
My Rub: First a light coating of olive oil then a liberal coating of DP Red Eye Express. After that I added a light sprinkle of garlic powder and onion powder. This was wrapped in plastic wrap and rested on the counter until the egg was stable at 250* grid temp, elevated direct. I added the remainder of the chips from the smoking can. Only took about 30-40 min.
DigiQX was used and cooked until internal temp was 130-140*
DSC_0411.jpg
After sampling, it was wrapped and ziplocked and will be chilled overnight to be deli-sliced tomorrow.
Here are some pics. I was really good - juicy, a little chewy, as expected, but the flavor was great - could really appreciate the effect of the cold smoke! Even the Princess Jana approved! :woohoo: :woohoo:
DSC_0412.jpg
DSC_0417.jpg
More pics tomorrow after I slice this first one and cook the other half.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Clark: That looks about as close to perfect as you can get!! Nice job!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Lookin GOOD Clark! ;) Get it perfected before Jan.,5. :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, LC. I was indecisive and apprehensive the whole time. Trying to use suggestions from the many recipes and ideas I had accumulated.

Still have a hindquarter to cook - it's been dry aging in the beer fridge for about 10 days. I think I will use a combination of grilling, then braising.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Hoss. The cold-smoking was a great idea and really infused a lot of smoke flavor without actually adding to the cook time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Great! I'll give it a try if I EVER get a deer! :blush:
  • texas_archer
    Options
    Can you explain how you did the cold smoke? It looks like a can and a Soldering iron.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice job Clark!! Can't wait for the rest of the story.. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Good grief ! Do I have to drive up there and show you how to shoot a deer? :ohmy

And I haven't even fired my deer rifle in more than 10 years! :whistle:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Good eye, even for a Texan . ;) :laugh:

Firetruck posted a while back about an easy cold smoking technique for smoking cheese. I just put the backstrap on instead of cheese. I wasn't sure how it would work, but I was looking to add smoke flavor without overcooking and drying out the venison.

Technique:
    1) Completely clean out the large egg - I removed the metal lump grate and shop-vac'd it thoroughly.
    2) I used a cheap soldering iron stuffed in a 15 oz. bean can with the paper removed, the top hinged, and DRY wood chips inside. I have laid it down in the past and just happened to stand it upright today.
    3) Since you will not be generating germ-killing temps, make sure your grid is extremely clean (especially if smoking something that will not later be cooked - like cheese).
    4) Plug in the soldering iron and smoke away. I smoke cheese for 1.5-2 hr, so I did 90 minutes on the meat - got a great smoke flavor without overpowering.
    5) I dropped a temp probe in the top just to know what the temp was. If this is done in warmer weather with cheese, a pan with ice can be placed btwn the cheese/meat and the soldering iron to keep the temp down.

Good luck !
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Molly. I had to quit sampling, so I would have enough tomorrow to deli-slice ! :ohmy: :whistle:
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Looks amazing Clark
    Beautiful colour
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks.

Looking forward to slicing and enjoying today!

Also plan to cook the other half that has been marinating overnight.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    nice cook, err, smoke Clark :)
    looks much moister than venison usually turns out ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Kari.
    The moisture was what I was most concerned about. I struggled to find a recipe/technique that would give me a good smoked flavor without overcooking the meat. As much as it hurts, :whistle: , I have to give 'Loney Hoss the credit for the cold smoking idea prior to the actual grilling. It worked great! :)

No water bath, just the amazing moisture-retaining properties of a Big Green Egg! :woohoo: