Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raw ends for CWM Ribs

3Pedals6Speeds
3Pedals6Speeds Posts: 439
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did CWM Ribs again yesterday, and had something happen I hadn't seen before. i had some really crisp ends the last couple times where the ends of the ribs extend past the pizza pan I have underneath them. (I run a spider with a small stone, then an adjustable rig with as large a pizza pan as can fit inside the AR which I have 1/2 down the AR, then I have the round grid on the top, with ribs standing on end in a rib rack). So, because I've had some burned ends, where they extend past the pizza pan, I foiled the round grid, just underneath where the ribs extended the most.

Ribs took longer than usual, at least 6.5 hrs (couldn't get the tissue recession to get the exposed bone), so I know I didn't undercook them, and the rest of the racks were fantastic, juicy and received rave reviews. But, the meaty ends on 2 of the 4 (can't recall the exact position in the Egg) were practically raw.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Not me.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    What temp did you cook them? Did you foil them? I could see tough but not raw. The more racks you throw on there and the more foil you use to protect ends the more uneven it will cook. Next time try trimming your ends down to fit.
  • 6.5 hrs on the egg, and raw. Not trying to be an *ss, but did you lite the lump. I'am not trying to Iss you off, but thats a long time for ribs to be raw. I have great success at 212 d's to 225 d's. three hrs. Do not opening the lid, the last hr. spritz w / apple juice, then pull and foil & wrap for 1 - 2 hrs. All done to hot to handle. soooo goood. This is Not how CWM did them but they are good. :):):) Hoping you have success. Ronnie.
  • I followed CWM instructions to the 'T', on temps. 225 for 1st 3 hrs, bumped to 250 after that. I only opened each hour to mist.

Fire was still fine at the end, tons of lump left, I ran it with the Stoker, so I know the temps were dead on. I had one alarm after opening it once, high of course, not low.

Can't explain it. All I can figure is the combo of the foil shielding those spots, and the ribs basically touching the dome (due to the height generated by the AR) may have somehow caused cool zone, but given how long they were on, I can't believe it wouldn't cook. If 3 ribs down they hadn't been cooked to perfection, I wouldn't believe it myself.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    pink? and squishy? that could be overcooked (the squishy aspect), couple with the smoke ring making it pink

once served someone a pork roast with a smoke ring and they said that the outside was still raw. i tried to explain to them that it is not possible to cook something internally while not cooking the exterior, and that the pink was from smoke, but what can you do...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike wrote:
    pink? and squishy? that could be overcooked (the squishy aspect), couple with the smoke ring making it pink

once served someone a pork roast with a smoke ring and they said that the outside was still raw. i tried to explain to them that it is not possible to cook something internally while not cooking the exterior, and that the pink was from smoke, but what can you do...

Raw. Consistency was raw, color was raw, whole nine yards, raw. I've cooked quite a few, I know raw. As stated though, 3-4 ribs away it was all good, done to perfection.