Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lexington BBQ...a food review

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well despite 2" of snow in Winston-Salem during the bball game Ginny & I made our way to Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC. This is one of 4 towns in the US which claim to be BBQ capitals...well the place wasn't easy to find but when we got there it was worth the trip.

We both ordered the coarse chopped BBQ plate which came with red slaw (very tasty & completely different) & hush puppies which were also good.

I got the coarse chooped (brown or outside) think bark and Ginny got the inside pieces. We liked them both with the outside having a smokier flavor as you would expect. The sauce was tasty and the hot & spicy sauce was also a treat. We also ordered fine chopped sandwiches to go (it was a 4 hr drive from there). The sandwich was very good with lots of finely chopped que & the red slaw on the bun.

We also had the peach cobbler for dessert. It was more like a peach pie with a thick sugar coated pie crust on top. Also very tasty as was the sweet tea.

Was this the best BBQ I have ever eaten...no but it was in the top 5 for sure. It was different in they use pork shoulders & no rub so the bark had a nice crunch but wasn't tough at all. It had a mild smokey flavor. Over all I would give this joint an A and we have put it in our GPS for the next time we drive through that part of NC. It is worth the detour, even in the snow... ;)

Comments

• golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Sounds good. I travel to Lexington quite often on business. Can you give me an address?
  • vidalia1
    Options
    You take the Mocksville exit off of Business I-85. It will be on your left going N on Bus 85. You will go back under the overpass. It is just off of the state Hiway 70 & 64...I had to stop twice for directions as GPS and mapquest were both wrong. It is up on a little hill going away from town...that is the best I can do..their phone # is (336) 249-9814

It is worth the effort IMHO... :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Lexington, Kansas City, Memphis, ????

We can certainly all agree on which city has the best BBQ, the question is where to rank Memphis (4th in my book) and Lexington and your mystery city I will assume is somewhere deep in the heart of Texas. (Lockhart maybe?)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    You need to go East to have real NC BBQ. Eastern NC BBQ rocks! I'll have to go to Lexington and give it a try one of these days.

What game were you going to see? Wake Forest?
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    That's exactly how I cook shoulders for my business. No rub. Just meat and smoke.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Yes Lockhart, TX is the 4th & refers to themselves as the BBQ center of the USA...
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I have eaten at Allen & Sons and they make my top 5 also...yes my S-I-L is an asst bball coach at Holy Cross and they played WF a close game Saturday...it was worth the drive for the game, bbq & snow... :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Kim, I'm glad you and Ginny enjoyed it once you finally found the place!! You mean even with the (admittedly undetailed) map I posted you had trouble? Maybe it's no wonder that when I asked the locals they didn't know either! :) 'Course, I was WAY to the south (Interstate I-85, not business). Mine was a spur of the moment (failed) attempt anyway.

Thanks for the report card. Next time I'm down that way, I'll definitely give it a try. Not sure about that red slaw though. Maybe I'll stop at KFC first - and brown bag the slaw!! hahaha!

As for rub or no rub, that's the second NC place I know of that just smokes plain shoulders. Place called Hursey's in Burlington told me they used nothin' but meat and smoke too. I've never tried it, but I have a 9 pounder in my freezer that I think will get the no rub treatment.

If you're ever in the Goldsboro NC area (about 20-30 miles east of I-95), try Wilber's. I think it's great, though Pete seems to disagree.

Now, tell Hoss again how much you liked it CHOPPED!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• vidalia1
    Options
    I do still prefer pulled pork and I think if these places did pulled instead of chopped they would be even better.. :) :laugh:

As for the red slaw both my wife and I liked it better than any cole slaw we have tasted. It was sweet and tangy with great crunch. Give it a try if you make it over that way.. B)