Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and Fish

Options
Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are some photos from the weekends cooks. I tried my method of doing ribs I have used for many years and they turned out great! No sauce is needed on these ;)
P1010203.jpg The Raws.
P1010204.jpg After a 4 hour rest, they are ready for the Egg.
P1010205.jpg 45 minutes in to the cook they are about ready for foil.
P1010219.jpg Hot off the Egg. I forgot to get pictures of the slabs before I cut them :blush:
P1010220.jpg Plated with corn and cole slaw.
P1010202.jpg Last nights salmon with DP Raging River and maple syrup glaze. That one was a winner!
Thanks for looking.
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Them ribs look to be cooked very well..
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    wow...
    both plates loook amazing....
    thanks for the photos...
    great job
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    pjoe, both look great. Would appreciate your sharing more details of your rib cooking method. What temp was the initial 45 minute direct cook? Did you dry or wet foil? How long in the foil and what temp? Thanks.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    What was included on the maple syrup glaze? Was it just maple syrup? Was it the bomb? Sounds great. Maple syrup on anything sounds good. Even ribs.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    Andrew, I know you're asking pjoe ... if I may butt in I use maple syrup mixed with butter, yum! I also 'grill' the plank slightly and place the salmon on the grilled side.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Pjoe
    Options
    That's it. Just butter and maple syrup. Baste the fish after the flip(s). It is good stuff!
  • Pjoe
    Options
    Glad to share. This is so easy and makes great ribs. Neighbor said they were the best he has ever had!

I grill direct at 350 -400 for 45 minutes to an hour. Add some wood chips or chunks if you want. Watch them close so you don't get too much char. I go until they start to pull back from the bone a little. Pull them off, put the plate setter in, then go about 250 for 1.5 - 2 hours depending on how done you like them. These were in foil for about 1.5 and the bones would pull out clean. The great thing is after they hit the foil, you can forget them and move on to other things. Hope this helps.

Bill
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    pjoe wrote:
    That's it. Just butter and maple syrup. Baste the fish after the flip(s). It is good stuff!

Nice. My kids like salmon so I may have to make that tonight. Unfortunately our high is only going to be 35 or so. THIS IS NC!!!! Brrr. Oh well. Going to be cold cooking this meal.

Thanks Gary. I may do that with the plank. I take it you soak them. Is cedar okay? I don't have any other planks on hand. Does the charring on the side prior to placing the fish add to the flavor or just dry the plank to have a better surface for cooking? Skin side down, then remove? Thanks.

Salmon and poutine!!!! Sounds like a winner.