Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping baby backs warm?

schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking five racks of baby backs today and then taking them to a party tonight. There will likely be about two hours from when the ribs are done to when they are consumed. Do you suggest putting them in foil and a cooler to stay warm (but I don't want them to get mushy) or keeping them warm in the oven at the party until served?

Thanks...SchmeeTex

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You say you are taking them to a party? If they are traveling, won't they need to be in a "cooler"? If you pre-heat the cooler by filling it with hot water, then emptying, and then place the BBs in, you would have a warm and slightly moist holding container. Then, into a hot oven for a few minutes to re-crisp, and serve with warm sauce. Or, sauce, and then into the oven for 10 - 15 mins.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    I cooked 6 racks last weekend and put them in a warm cooler on foil(not wrapped in foil)for 3 hours and they were great.

Larry
  • Thanks...I'll give the warm cooler lined with foil a try. This makes sense...one time I cooked a double batch and wrapped the first ribs in foil and put them in a cooler...five hours later they were still warm...but were mushy. Won't wrap them this time.
  • I pre-warm a cooler by putting jugs of hot water in it.

When the ribs come off the egg, I wrap them in foil, remove the water jugs from the cooler, add crumbled newspaper to the bottom of the cooler, put the ribs in and cover with more crumbled newspaper.

They WILL stay warm/hot for several hours.

Spacey