Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tuesday morning thermators

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went down to the local Tuesday Morning store and bought some of them $9 cooking thermators. I too was curious about how they could be so cheap when Poldars cost $30 or more. [p]The first difference is the battery. Poldars have a fancier battery. Also the poldars have a preset menu function. This is probably useful for folks who drink when they que and forget stuff like cooking temps. For folks who can remember cooking temps, these cheap babies should do the trick.

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    char buddy,[p]make that thermometers, tuesday morning thermometers.[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    char buddy, we knew that :-)...Thanks for the info! These are important items for the newcombers and well worth the investment. As time goes on, you become aquainted with the specific heat temperature curves and rely on them only at the approximate ending of the cook. Then insert for a temp check and leave em till your finished. Easier on the cables and wear and tear and battery usage.[p]BTW.. I have had mine for two years..never replaced a probe, and no battery. I have a pair of them.
    With two BGE's its handy to have as well as the pocket Polder for quick checks on steaks and chops and high temp chicken cooks.
    Cheers..C~W

• Unknown
    Options
    See, I even mispelled newcomers...Dang..bad habit. Some folks have a lot of problems with tomato and potato. Even a former Vice President. We don't pay much attention to typo's around here..Have fun with BBQ..thats the game plan.
    C~W[p]

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    char buddy,
    You guys keep talk'n 'bout Tuesday Morning to get these neat thermators. Well, I've checked all over the area where I live and all I can find is a
    T G I Friday's. I went there and asked 'em if they could meet Tuesday Morning's price on the thermator? They looked at me rather strange and said yes, they had no thermators or thermometers either, but they would be glad to bring me a plate of Jack Daniel's Steak & Shrimp. Well, guess you know what I told them....If I wanted something like that, I'd just go home and fire up Mr Humpty, throw on some JD smokin chips and put them to shame! Anyway, where was I? Oh, yea, look'n for a Tuesday Morning, well you guys need to slow down a bit and smell the eggs....it's only Saturday Morning...Tuesday will come soon enough. Enjoy the weekend holiday :-)
    NG

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    char buddy,[p] Only the new model of the Polder has the preset meat function (you tell it what kind of meat and how well done and it beeps when it thinks it's there). The older model of Polder is identical to the one at Tuesday Morning -- down to the battery! Only differences I could find was the package (or lack thereof). MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    C~W,[p]Spelling better never be too important around here! I hate those forums and newsgroups where everyone tells you that this or that is misspelled - until we get a spellcheck built in, I for one will continu 2 mispel al teh wurds i wont.[p]Tim
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]What is a pocket polder?
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nu-Guy, I was desperate too..went to Wendy's and they didn't even know what day it was, so I ordered a Coke, and they were still puzzled.
    :-)[p]

• char buddy
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p]This group ought to have votes and awards for best posts of the year - funniest, best recipe, most useful, etc.[p]Nu-Guy, your post would get my vote for funniest and the year's only half over. I read this two hours ago and I'm still chuckling. [p]
    But seriously, are you sure you can't get regular thermators at TGIF's even on Fridays? 'Cause I could sure use another thermator right about now. :-)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Tim M, I igree witch ya..

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Teslamania, Its made by Polder, but a quick check hand held thermometer with the digi readout. Has its own storage tube for the stem and clips in your shirt pocket or apron pouch.
    I like it..comes in handy.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I agree. The good thing is, it's hard to misspell heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Is it 10 e's or 11???[p]Cornfed
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Ahh, a digital instant read thermometer. Sounds neat. BTW, you were up late / up early this am!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cornfed, sorry..didn't see this one..but hey, my math was as lousy as my spelling so I failed to count em..I usually quit at 6 to 8 "e's"....heeeeee!!:-)