Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Egg Wagyu brisket?

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up and 8.2 lb Wagyu brisket for only $3.90 lb... The butcher said that Wagyu cooks faster and should be kept under 170° internal. He estimated a 6-7 hr cook time at 220° This is much less time and a much lower finishing temp than I've found for "regular" beef. I've found a couple of entries on other forums indicating that Wagyu does cook faster but I'd like to hear from someone who has tried it on the Egg. It will be my first Brisket on the Egg... my only other brisket was a tasty but tough one done on an offset smoker.

The Egg is loaded with Royal Oak and chunks of cherry and hickory.. The Guru is set for 220°. The brisket has a medium dusting of Double Q rub. All I have to do is drag myself out of bed, point the weed burner in the general direction of the Egg... stay awake for 30min until the smoke thins... put on the brisket... and (hopefully) go back to bed.

I've read most of the brisket threads and links but would appreciate any input about Wagyu. Thanks.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Just cook it till it's "fork" tender. Not sure I would go by temp alone.
    Let us know...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have much advice but I would love to hear how it turns out. To be honest- I didn't know what the heck Wagyu was until someone posted a question about steaks. It seems like this is becoming more readily available. If you look online an 8 lb brisket is like $140!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Hey Deckhand,

May be too late .. but a good resource may be some of the competition BBQ forums like www.bbqbrethren.com. A lot of those guys stick with that type of brisket. Can't go wrong with fork tender though.

JM
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Google took me to several threads on the "Breathern" forum...and several others. Seems like most cook brisket similar to "regular" beef... as far as internal temps go. All mention that it cooks faster. There was a difference of opinion on internal temps in a couple of threads. Some said that the high amount of marbling made it less likely to dry out at higher temps. Others said that the marbling made is unnecessary, even undesirable to go above 180° internal.

I'm 4 hrs into the cook ... Very little fat in the drip pan (only a few specs) but the brisket had been trimmed closely.