Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Pork Butts

Options
EAT
EAT Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just set two 8lb butts about an hour ago.
Super Rub.
Set the egg at 250 at the grill.
Hope to reach 190 internal in about 18hrs.
Thanks for any suggestions !!
Enrique

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If it stays at 250, I bet 14 hours.
  • EAT
    Options
    Ok, but 14hrs will also be super tender ? or better to go 220 or so ?
    Thanks
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I would suggest that 220 is too low. Run the risk of a dying fire, or your meat drying out. I would cook at a minimum of 250 (doesnt have to be exact) until the internal temp is around 190-200 and tender. How long that takes varies. Good luck, I am sure it will turn out great. Wish I was having pulled pork tomorrow ...
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I find that dome temp of 250 means grid temp(cooking level) is about 20 degrees less. I cook my butts at 250 dome temp and they turn out great. It's really hard to mess them up, but I am sure I will now that I have said this. I am cooking up a bunch soon too. Good luck. If they get ready early just double wrap them in heavy duty foil, wrap them in a towel, then set them in a cooler.

I find that this actually makes them better to rest them this way for a while anyways.

Again, good luck and let us know how they turn out!!
  • EAT
    Options
    Hi
    Butts are 190 and 185 after 12 hrs 45min, at 250.
    Seems fast to me this time.
    Should I wait to 200 internal ? Or just 190-195?, is just that I was expecting a longer time.
    Bark looks nice, just picked a moment ago.
    Thanks
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    195-200° seems to be the norm. When you stick the temp probe in (or a meat fork), you should feel virtually no resistance.

If it is done early, you can wrap it in heavy duty foil, then in a bath towel or two and put it in a cooler. Leave it whole, pull later. It will keep for 4-5 hours and still be around 160° (if I recall correctly). Plenty warm in any case.

You don't HAVE to cooler it. A 20-30 minute rest is fine, but if you aren't ready to eat yet, that'll work.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut