Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Martin D-28

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Just bought a new toy last night. A 2008 Martin D-28!! I've wanted a Martin since about 1967, but either couldn't afford one or had other priorities. Haven't played much in quite a while and have some serious learning (re-learning) to do, but the bug bit and I just HAD to do it. :)

Hard to tell from these craigslist pics, but it is in virtually new condition, hardly a scratch, and sounds awesome. Now if I could just remember how to play!!! And if my fingertips would stop aching... I am sooooo out of practice!!

Could have bought an XL with table for less, but who needs another egg?! :)

5230299122_ccf8dd0c63_z.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Swwwiiiiing :woohoo:
    Man, that is beautiful!!!

Congrats!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty nice. I have a lonnnggg way to go before I can do it justice, but the journey is half the fun! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Made in Pennsylvania....with pride! B)

I've got 2 friends who sport one in their collection...and they're simply fine as fine wine.

Now here's an ultimate PA vacation for you:

A Martin company tour, then head south to Fred's. You can stand in the middle of the store with an Egg handle in one hand, and a sweet guitar in the other!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Would love to tour the Martin factory - maybe one of these days. It's only a four hour drive. After I finish there, I probably won't be able to afford a bag of lump from Fred's though!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Michael,
    Nice score man!!
    I wish you a terrific self musical journey!!!
    Smiling for you!!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know the feeling well. I still have my Martin from 1964. I bought the same model that Joan Baez was playing at the time. My wife brought it to me the other day and asked me to play something. I remembered where the fingers were supposed to go, but they just didn't hit the right fret like they used to.

Four years ago, I met Joan and she signed my guitar for me.

guitar.jpg

joan1.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Molly. It's either going to be a long journey - or a very short one! My fingers are KILLING me!!! You shouldn't be able to actually FEEL your fingertips when you're just sitting there doing nothing! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Hey, Gary. Exactly! I still remember the chords, but somehow, my fingers don't think I should be doing this!!

Joanie's holding up pretty well. Still with the causes, I see. :) I had the chance to talk with Mary Travers a few years ago. Brought an old Peter, Paul and Mary album cover for her to sign (my first and only autograph request, ever). She took one look at it and said, "OMG, who's the skinny blond chick?!" Or words to that effect. She was a nice lady!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    She was a nice lady!

Yeah, I bet. PP&M were among my favorites. I was really sad to hear that she died. It was a whole different era, never to be repeated again.

BTW, that picture was taken at Camp Crawford, as you probably guessed.

Peace, my brother !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Michael,

Back in the old days, I could stick a needle in the ends of my fingers and not feel a thing because of the callouses.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Yep. Unfortunately, mine feel like I did just that!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Great guitar.

I bought a fairly inexpensive Yamaha a couple of months ago and my fingers still hurt. They are getting nicely callused though.

Good luck with it and practice, practice, practice.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    My brother has been playing for 45 years. Has two Martins and several others. He says his fingers still hurt - if he plays three gigs in one weekend! :laugh: Yeah, like THAT'S gonna happen!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Congrats on the new guitar. If you are interested, go on YouTube. There are plenty of lessons to pick from. Also, I go to a website, Vanderbilly.com. Lots of instructional videos from people like you and me.

Enjoy playing.

Gary
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks. I've seen some of the stuff on you tube, though I haven't heard of vanderbilly. I'll check it out. So far, I've just tried to work on some of the stuff I used to be able to play.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut