Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

Options
Central Pork
Central Pork Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing an 8lb bone in aged prime rib for tomorrow evening. My guests want their's cooked to "medium well". I know, I know, thats also overcooked for me. I will give them the outside more done pieces and hope to keep the inside pieces more in the range of medium. I intend to sear all sides at 550 degrees, then go indirect and shut her down to 350 degrees till I reach my internal target temp. What target internal temp would equate to a medium to medium well doneness?? Also for timing, I realize 15 minutes per pound is a guideline for medium rare, but what time estimate per pound for producing medium/medium well? Finally, everyone think an 8 lb'er is enough for 7 people? We are also having salad, lobster bisque, followed by the main course of Prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans, washed down with a nice shiraz. All followed by deserts and coffee. Thanks to all in advance..........
CP

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    primeribsliced.jpg
    <p />CentralPork,[p]If I were you, I would just cook it like you normally would - if you like medium-rare in the center - which would mean pull it at 130 or so internal. Serve the outside pieces to those who like their beef more on the well side. To get more of the "weller-done" pieces, cut your 8 pounder in half and cook as two roasts.[p]I've only ever done 4.5 pounders (2-bone-in), and those usually take 2.5 hours, BUT I do them INDIRECT (after searing) at 250 dome. [p]Incidentally, for reference, the above picture shows a 4.5 pounder cut in half, after being cooked to 130 internal and rested until 135 internal. There was still plenty of medium-wellish pieces on the outside of the roast (and, despite the more well doneness of the meat on the end, it's still the tastiest b/c of the outside bark!)[p]Check out the link below for more details on how I've done these roasts.[p]Cheers and best of luck,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]After rereading your post, I realized I may not have answered all your questions. But, like I said, I wouldn't try to cook to a medium-well temperature (which would be more like 150 I think), I would just shoot for your center doneness at medium-rare.[p]I usually serve a 4.5 lb roast to 4 people with sides. Looks like you're gonna have plenty of great sides, so I think your 8 pounder will be just the right amount for 7 people.[p]Again, good luck. Sounds like you're gonna have a great feast.[p]TRex
  • Central Pork
    Options
    TRex,
    Thanks alot for the help. I had been debating as to whether to cut the 8 pounder into two 4 pounders. Thats probably what I will do. After spending what I did on this nice aged piece of meat, I could feel my heart in my throat when my dinner guests responded they would like theirs cooked medium well...Thanks again.
    CP