Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lexington, NC BBQ?

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am headed to Wake Forest this weekend and I want to stop in Lexington, NC for some BBQ. It is voted one of the 3 best BBQ cities in the country.

So my question is to those that have eaten in town: which place should I try?

I am leaning toward Lexington BBQ but have read great reviews on other local places....I am looking for some input...thanks. :)

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Kim, I've never eaten in Lexington, though I tried to once. Driving down I-85, it was lunchtime and I was about to pass Lexington. So, I took an exit (there are 3 or 4 for Lex) and pulled in to a gas station. Asked for directions to "Lexington Barbecue". They looked at me like I had two heads! No idea what I was talking about! Never did find it so I ate at McDonalds. :)

Maybe if I had asked for directions to Honey Monks, they would have known. The place was originally opened by a guy named Wayne "Honey" Monk. This is the one you see mentioned in all the TV shows about "the best barbecue joints". Also known as Lexington #1. I found out about all this after my trip.

Anyway, it, like all Q joints, gets mixed reviews. Some swear by it, others, not so much. Here's a link to a CNN (of all places) article about some guy who was "comparison shopping".

If Pete was around, you KNOW he'd have an opinion!! :)

http://barbecuequest.blogspot.com/2009/04/lexington-1honey-monkslexington.html

Hope this helps - good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I learned not to ask for directions when I lived in NC. -RP
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Thanks Michael...and yep I have heard the same thing about it being hard to find. I may try Smiley's or any other local joint. This should be interesting. I will let you know how it goes... ;)
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    If you exit Hwy 378 and head into Lexington there is a large BBQ on the right about 2 miles down. Can't recall name but food is (IMHO) medium at best. However, there is usually quite a few cars there. About 15 miles furthur, in Leesville-Batesburg is one called SHEALY's. Buffet style naturally and very good. That is also where they manufacture a vinegar-based sauce but you can get mustard-based as well. If you are coming east on 20 you couls also exit onto Hwy 178 (exit 39) and it is much closer. Shealy's would definitely be my recommendation.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Kim, you piqued my curiosity (plus work can be sooo boring sometimes), so here's a map. :) I was on regular I-85. You need to be on BUSINESS I-85. There's a business interstate?! Who knew?!

Anyway, "A" is Lexington #1/Monks/Lexington Barbecue. "B" is Smokey Joe's - never heard of that one. Hope you find one you like.

5228694849_95853de7e6_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• vidalia1
    Options
    Thanks much...we will either try Lexington BBQ or Smiley's BBQ depending on which one we find first...LOL B)
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Thanks much...we will either try Lexington BBQ or Smiley's BBQ depending on which one we find first...LOL B)
  • Buckethead
    Options
    You're in the wrong state. He is going to NC. SC will give him mustard sauce!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Kim,
    My mom is from Asheboro down the road. We always ate at the Blue Mist BBQ. For my NC roots that was bbq growing up. I think Lampe mentions it in his bbq road trip book.

H