Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

i need an easy vinegar based bbq sauce recipe

deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
we are having our homebrew club christmas party this weekend and i'm wanting to make a vinegar based sauce for the pulled pork.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    This is my family's favorite for PP. -RP

1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Not sure what you mean by "easy"...how about vinegar and ketchup?

But seriously, the Elder Ward page on Naked Whiz has a vinegar based sauce recipe: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here's one I like. Been making it for years. Typical Eastern NC style, very thin, can't even see it on the meat. 'Cuz it's mostly vinegar. :)

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Here is one I have used

Makes about 3 cups of sauce.

1. 2-liter bottle of root beer
    2. 1 1/2cups apple cider vinegar
    3. 1/2 cup ketchup
    4. 1/4 cup yellow mustard
    5. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    6. 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    7. 1 tablespoon tabasco
    8. 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    9. 1 teaspoon black pepper
    10. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a large sauce pan, reduce root beer to 1 cup over medium heat. Should take about an hour.

Add vinegar, ketchup, mustard, lemon juice, worcestershire, tabasco, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Simmer 20 minutes. Finish with the butter to give sauce extra body and flavor.

Refrigerated this sauce will last a long time.
  • 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup yellow or brown mustard
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

combine the vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring, for 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good post guys. Thanks
    Hard to get in Texas. Salt Lick is as near as I can find. But yours sounds better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i used to always have the one in elderwards tutorial in the fridge. the one i liked best though was ken stones happy pappy which was more a hybrid sauce, never seen his recipe posted though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Mickey wrote:
    Good post guys. Thanks
    Hard to get in Texas. Salt Lick is as near as I can find. But yours sounds better.

exactly! i'm not even sure i can get one vinegar based sauce pre-packaged in mississippi.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I got my recipe (see post above) from an old Weber cookbook that came with my kettle, 20? years ago. I just looked up Elder Ward's recipe... looks like HE got it from the Weber folks too! Or they got it from him! Virtually identical! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q wrote:
    Here's one I like. Been making it for years. Typical Eastern NC style, very thin, can't even see it on the meat. 'Cuz it's mostly vinegar. :)

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

I use pretty much this same recipe, except I use brown sugar. I lived in Durham, NC and this is really close to the sauce you find in Eastern NC. You tend to get more tomatoes in the sauce the further you go West.

Salt lick is has a mustard base, but it is nothing like a vinegar sauce. Compared to other sauces in TX, it is unique in that aspect. I lived in Austin for 10yrs so I got to sample a lot of em.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    http://www.blueshog.com/website/products.html

Blues Hog Tennessee Red is great. I like to take some of it because it is thin and mix it in with the regular Blues Hog...perfect....texture and vinegar taste ;)

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/blueshog/
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Hi CQ

Same one I have been making for decades and my favorite as well.