Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex Gasket

Options
skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hey,

Where can I get a nomex gasket?

Thnaks in advance

Comments

• PhilOsh
    Options
    I called the BGE home office when my gasket burned up and they sent me a new Nomex gasket free. I had to supply the adhesive.
    Phil
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Same for me.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    if it's for an older egg then you'll have to pay for it anyway and most dealers worth their salt are now carrying Nomex replacement gaskets.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • asianflava
    Options
    My dealer tried to get me one, but got the run-around from her distributor. They tried to tell her that they don't exist. She told me to call BGE and order it from them.
  • apollo140140
    Options
    should be able to get it from your local dealer. but you will have to get the adhesive, think they recommend 3m brand spray on.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My nomex BGE gasket melted and almost stuck my large egg shut. I have 2 weeks off for Christmas and am putting those oven gasket seals on all 3 eggs.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    FWIW my dealer did not know what "nomex" was, BGE calls it their "high temperature" gasket which is nomex so if a dealer tells you he does not know what nomex is ask him for BGE's hi temp gkt. Also go to Fred's as BigA suggests, he has a great you tube video on how to replace the gasket
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I use Aramid Strip 1" Width, .125" Thick from Mcmastercarr.com. Part #8796K52 You need 12 feet to do a large. You have to order two 10 feet pieces at $4.50 each.
    http://www.mcmaster.cosm/#aramid-fabric-strips/=9ziqpe
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    When you look at the videos (see the videos link in the menu strip at the top of his page), review the three-part sequence he dated in July 2009 - much better information there.

There's one thing I learned when I recently had to replace my gasket.

[ul]
    [li]Do the cleaning as he indicates.
    [li]Then install the gasket on the dome.
    [li]Install the spring bands back on the egg bottom part, making sure to place it nice and low on the lower unit.
    [li]Now, install dome part.
    [li]Now, install the gasket on the lower unit.
    [li]Close the egg and let the weight of the dome perform the "clamping" action until the glue is cured.
    [/ul]

The advantage of doing it this way is that you automatically get about 1/8" tighter seal than if you installed the gasket on the two parts and then re-assembled the egg. To my knowledge, there's no down-side to doing it this way - there' plenty of room between the dome and base to install the second gasket.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Low heat on the egg to help remove and/or cure?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    2 year old post bro........

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My bad...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Well haven't had my egg 2 weeks and I have fried my gasket! I was cooking my first pizza on it and got it to 600 degrees and when I lifted the top the gasket stuck together and the some of it fell into the egg and burnt up. Do I have anything to worry about? Meaning on my next cook after I replace my gasket with the fumes of the old gasket? Also which gasket do you guys prefer?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    henapple said:
    My bad...
    I understand @michigan_Jason but you had a legit question. No harm, no foul IMO. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Forget the Nomex...it will char if exposed to high enough temp. Get the 5/8" Rutland flat gasket material (Ace Hardware)... "Scrunch" it:  lay it flat on a table, put your hands on either side of a 2-3" length of the material and push them together until it's a 1 or 2" length.  Repeat until the whole length is scrunched... it will be wider and thicker when you're finished.  Cut to the length you need... (SHARP blade needed).  Secure gasket to Egg with Permatex Ultra Gold "gasket maker"  (only need to do lower half).  Cover the gasket with cling wrap or wax paper so it doesn't stick to dome.  Close lid and wait overnight.  Now you have a gasket for the ages.  
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Didn't mean to come across as scolding, my fault, just wanted to let you know.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."