Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a good pheasant recipe

mnwalleye
mnwalleye Posts: 226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I only have the breasts not the whole bird. I have a few ideas but a few more will not hurt. SD was good so I have lots of birds to eat.

Thanks

Comments

• Adam's Nueburg looks great!

The only way I've had pheasant is with the breast cut into thin strips, soaked in milk, then rolled in bread crumbs. This was quick fried (45 seconds or so) in veg. oil in an electric skillet. It was a long time ago, but still remember it!

One day Im gonna get Adam to take me Pheasant hunting. Maybe he will agree in January when I've got a shotgun pointed at him in a duck blind while we are all hunting at Hoss' place. :ohmy: :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Clark, It'll knock yer socks off....the nueberg ;) !!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    not sure what you have but i can give you what i do

1- creamed pheasant - Cream of mushroom soup, cream, chicken broth, carmalised onions, mushrooms if you like,
    I cut the breast meat in about 2 bite sizes and coat with flour and brown in the pan that I carmalised the onions in, when all of the meat is browned i put it in a crock pot with the onions and mushrooms (if you like). Now you mix all of the ingredients, but i never use the same amount, i just dump, usually i fill a 6qt crock pot, about 6 breast, 3 cans of cream of mushroom, pint of cream, and a cup of broth, it all depends on what you like, served with mashed potatos, or over wild rice!! :cheer: will also put on the egg in a dutch oven or any egg same pot :laugh:

2- Pheasant poppers!!
    sliced jalapenos (jar) or you can by fresh and cut to size
    cream cheese
    bacon
    pheasant

Cut meat into bite size pieces,and put the ingredients on in this order
    meat, a dolop of cream cheese, sliced jalapenos, and wrap with bacon, and put a tooth pick thru to hold. Then egg direct until bacon is crisp and meat is down, i do them pretty low, i even do them indirect, either way works.

3 -
    U can also egg them like a regular breast, just like a chicken breast.

show me pictures of the hunt and where you went, just saw a pic from Ripnem from out in western ND, and they shot a ton. :cheer: :cheer:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    LAWDAMERCEY!!! :woohoo: Dat'GOTTA B GOOD!!!(#1),273 sound Yummee too! :)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I've done coq au vin style. Brown in skillet with a little oil. Add aromatics and red wine and little white onions. Slight simmer and braise until done (fork tender). Do not overcook. Serve with mashed or parsley potatoes, or noodles, spaetzle, dumplings.
  • We never took any pics. Had our limit in hour hours most days. Birds everywhere. Went by faulkton,sd
  • BigA
    Hoss it is great!! I should send you some pheasant so you can try it! Or do you get out pheasant hunting, i forget where u live. :blush:
  • BigA
    oh man bird pics are great!! what breed of dog do u have or did u use?? Congrats on the great bird hunting! :cheer: :cheer:
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Smoked some last winter on my Egg and they came out great...
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=786042&catid=1#

Those were whole birds without skin but you could do the same thing with a bone-in breast as long as you did the bacon.

I did try the Neuberg recipe and agree it is awesome. Really good, hearty stuff.

But my go-to recipe will remain taking the breast meat off the bone, slicing into strips about 3/4 inch wide and pounding thin. Place a dollup of cream cheese and a sliced jalapeno pepper in. Dust it with your favorite rub (I really like Dizzy Pig Raging River right now) and wrap it with bacon. Grill high in the dome until the bacon is done. HUGE hit every time I make it

I'm actually going to make a batch of those in the next week and will try to take some good pictures.
  • Hoss
    Not many Roosters(pheasant)in North Mississippi.We do have a few preserves where you can shoot released birds.BORING! :whistle:
  • BigA
    ya i hear ya on the preserve birds, i usually take my dog out to a preserve twice a year, once in the summer and once in the heart of winter, usually in January when it is about -10, and sunny, nothen better than watchen the dog work B) :cheer: :cheer: well if you ever get up here i will take ya out, but sounds and looks like Ripnem has the sweet spot!!
  • Hoosier
    Oh, and just to add a shot of my hunting crew....

katesadiedieselhannah.jpg
  • Hoosier
    And one more...just can't help myself...love the winter hunting pictures!

154850632303_0_ALB.jpg
  • Hoss
    He's been beggin me to go with him. :( One a des days! :) When the Great Recession is over,that's my first trip!!! ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    What a great looking hunting crew that is!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoosier
    Thanks Molly! I'm proud of them. Second from left in the first picture is the Grand Matron!... a 13 year old female who still hunts hard and has whelped 20 AKC master hunters. Far left and 3rd from left are two from one of her litters (both of which are AKC Master Hunters and Grand Master Pointing Labs) Far right is the pup in my profile who got her AKC Master Hunter title at 14 months old and placed in 3 AKC field trials. Really good group and so cool to see 3 generations of labs hunting together.
  • BigA
    sure hope there was more than 1 of you shooting those! :laugh: good looken group of dogs for labs. j/k, i see you say there are pointing labs, u should just go with the GSP if u want a true pointer. :laugh: :laugh: Here is my hunting partner
    IMG_2899.jpg

All kidding aside you have a great group of hunters.
  • BigA
    HAHA the great depression you mean, i have to close the doors on my business! Cant make it! You will have to go out and shoot those birds with him, where he goes is the best of the best. It is actually better in the sw part of North Dakota where he goes than South Dakota. It is an honor to go shoot birds out there :cheer: :cheer:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hoosier,

I like how you roll. B)

We aren't afraid of travel. :whistle:

GirlsnRoodies.jpg

Hey I also do the same with the cream cheese/pepper and bacon wrapped Pheasant. You can do them as 'whole' half breasts too as a main course, but the smaller portion makes for a perfect appitizer.
  • Hoosier
    :laugh: My human hunting buddies are too ugly to be in the picture but yes...we usually go up with a huge group. Standard trip is 8 guys and 24+ dogs. I prefer not to sully my pictures with the Germain Shorthairs, Brittanys, Vizlas that may join us. :P

But seriously, I am all about good dog work. Don't care what breed you bring. I want a dog that WANTS to work with the handler. Be that my labs that check in with me constantly and stay in gun range and hunt thick cover HARD or a GSP that knows how to be patient and not bust birds over the horizon. Dogs that know how to work birds is a beautiful thing to watch...one of life's true pleasures.

Gorgeous pic of your dog.

But, after we get back from Dakota I'll bet my labs can deal with more waterfowl in snow/ice than your thin coat! :whistle:
  • BigA
    your right on the snow and ice in the duck blind! I dont duck hunt anymore! Love to shoot dem ducks but dont like to eat em. I thought about a lab before i got my gsp, but i hunt pheasants every chance i get and thought i didnt need a duck hunting dog, all though he has gone and does good but he gets cold. If i were to go duck hunting my duck hunting buddy has 3 labs. Where do you go in the dakotas hunting? Where u from? And you are right, nothen better than a great worken hunten dog. and why on earth do you take that many dogs, i hope you rotate them and not ahve them all out at once, that would be crazy!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoosier
    Amen my friend!!! The past 10 years we've made at least 2 trips up to Dakota from central Indiana every year. Had a bunch of good ones and some bad ones (last year I smacked a deer near Aberdeen at 75mph that kind of put a damper on the trip)

Don't have a good pic but here is the rig we normally take. Ford with a dog topper and we pull a separate deerskin dog trailer.

CCTrainingDay001.jpg
  • Hoss
    AwW man,that SUX!I'm hopin I can get back to where I was 3 years ago before I die! :blink: :angry: :( Oh well,life goes on.At least we have Eggs.A lotta people live their whole lives and never have the privilige of owning or even cooking on one.Not to mention the comradarie(sp) :blush: of this CRAZY,QUIRKY Forum! ;) I wish you and yours ALL THE BEST! :)
  • Hoosier
    Yep, that's exactly why we take a huge load of dogs....we like to rotate them out on every other push/drive. Fresh dogs that are not overheated mean less lost birds. But, we have done BIG pushes of sorgum or milo fields where we've had 20 dogs down at one time. :woohoo:

We have one guy that goes with us that runs 2 GSPs and they are awesome. They have learned exactly how to run JUST in front of the labs but not bump birds. It is so cool to watch them point, creep...stalk...peek...and not bump the birds. But when a bird is shot they know it's a lost cause and don't even bother with competing with the labs. They won't win that race to the dead bird.

We actually train out labs for AKC field trials and hunt tests too which is fun. Makes the "season" a year round thing.
  • BigA
  • BigA
    sounds like fun, where you from?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You don't want to know about next weekend. :S
  • Hoss
    DAMMIT BOY!Some fine looking stock! ;) Do they fetch? :laugh: ;) Just kidding.That is a tribe ANYONE would be MITEE proud of.Congrats! :)
  • Hoss
    North Missippi.We run field trials for bird dogs.(quail)You hafta use a horse in full trot to keep up with them.Amazing to watch em work.I love to watch ANY well trained dog work.Border collies to labs and all in between.! :)you have a fine lookin pack. ;)