Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking venison backstrap

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK you venison Eggers.
I was given a backstrap today (100# doe shot yesterday). Was thinking about making two roast and doing different cooks on each.
I would like to smoke one roast, chill and thin slice into deli meat style. Looking for suggestions on how to do this.
1) hickory or other wood?
2) low and slow, since moisture not as much a concern as with other cooks?
3) looking for a good smoke ring, so maybe put in Egg cold, like ribs?
4) inject with something?
5) should I take to a higher internal temp or stick around 130*?

Other suggestion for this type cook?

The other roast I plan to maybe inject, but marinade, season (Red Eye Express or a steak rub), sear and pull at 120* or so. Maybe cook like a beef tenderloin roast - 225-250*, then a sear at the end.

Thanks for suggestions......

PS - did search the Cookbook and "backstrap" on the Forum and didn't find anything about the smoking/deli sliced technique.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like the taste of venison so I would not heavy smoke or heavy season.
    Light sear and roast to 130 at the most with a little salt and pepper and brush of melted butter after the sear. Have you seen the pieces? Can't imagine 100# doe would have a piece large enough to inject like a roast.
    Take some photos of your cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Agreed. Backstraps off a 100#doe would be maybe the diameter of a standard coffee mug, maybe even thinner.

As for the method, I've never done it, but would hesitate to go much over 130&deg simply because of the lack of internal fat in the backstrap. They are just about the leanest cut of meat you'll ever see. Maybe inject with some melted butter when the meat gets in the 110&deg range

Slow smoke it, use some pecan or other fairly mild wood, chill and slice the next day.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I moved it from his ice chest to mine before work this morning. It is definitely small- slightly larger than a pork tenderloin in diameter. Roast was probably the wrong word. I just meant to differentiate from steak cuts.

Thanks
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Warm injected butter sounds like a good plan.

Thanks
  • ranger ray
    Options
    don't smoke it!..... just cut it across the grain.... .75 inches thick....cook it for about one minute per side in some butter in a hot skillet.... with salt and pepper( i like lotsa fresh black pepper) .....deglaze the pan with some red wine... add some heavy cream....reduce for a 30 seconds... pour the cream sauce on the the medallions of venison..... one of the best things you'll ever eat!.... if you smoke it you'll dry it out.... it;s an extremely lean piece of meat .....it's similar to good piece of fresh sushi grade tuna.... overcooked... turns to junk...very easily...and you'll have missed an culinary delight..... trust me!....thanks! ray try some different versions but don't ruin the whole thing all at once.... deer backstrap.... is a gift from God....
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    RR,

That's the way we used to do it in deer camp (without the sauce, though).

I still think it is the best way :woohoo:

Wifey is obsessed against frying things, especially if good ole butta is involved. Ya know, unless I'm hiding at camp, we gotta keep the Princess happy. :whistle::)
    For some reason she wants me to stick around a litle longer. :huh: :laugh:
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    Just my two cents. Low and slow cooking works great when you are trying to render out large amounts of fat from a pork shoulder, duck, or other hunk of meat that contains a significant amount of fat. Deer tenderloin or backstrap (different cuts by the way) are so incredibly lean that they do not lend themselves to a slow/low technique.

If you want to add smoke flavor and have a cold cut-thin sliced venison strap, I would recommend the following. I have only done it once and it came out pretty solid.

Take a whole venison backstrap (the larger outside back muscle) and cut it in half. For a doe the size you're talking it should be about 10 to 12 inches long and about the diameter of a Coke can...and much thinner at the ends. Put them in Ziplock bags and put at the back of your fridge for a couple of hours to get it really cold.

Get the Egg up to about 275 dome stabilized and drop in some chunk wood. I prefer persimmon with venison but maple is good and oak is a nice match. Hickory and mesquite might be a bit much and could overpower the natural flavor. Set up indirect with some kind of drip pan.

When the Egg is stable and good smoke is coming out, pull your backstrap wrap them in VERY thin (read CHEAP) bacon. Don't bother buying high quality thick cut bacon.

Put on top of the grid, insert a temp probe into the center of the backstrap, and smoke until an internal temp of 120 to 125. Trust me... anything over that will be gross. Venison should be served rare to medium rare (if it's not pink it's overcooked)

If you want to slice it for cold cuts, let it cool to room temp and wrap in plastic. Before cutting, drop it in the freezer for 30 minutes and then slice thin across the grain (basically cutting 1/8th inch "steaks" across the whole backstrap)

You should get a decent smoke ring, some great flavor and really enjoy it.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I'm in the camp with ranger ray....Sliced (I do a seasoned four dredge) and pan fried hot and fast. The cream sauce thing is just an added plus, making it a bit of a stroganoff flavor.

If you do want to roast / grill, that is a good way to go too, but wrap it in bacon and cook it pretty fast so it won't dry out. I would NOT "smoke" it...In the sense of a slow smoke.

OTOH, some smoke-wood (apple or cherry are my choices) during a hot and fast, is good addition.

I do have a good marinade recipe for a roasted blackstrap, if you want added flavor. If so....Let me know and I'll post.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, that kinda sounds like what I was thinking.

I'm well aware of the "dangers" over overcooked, leathery venison, having 'been there'. :ohmy: :whistle: :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, JB.

Please post your marinade, as I will be getting more meat this season and would love to have several marinades to try. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Clark,
    Did four for a friend last weekend. Trimmed all the "white stuff" till I only had meat. Used soy, mustard, little bit of oil, ground pepper, crushed garlic, lemon juice, and Bourbon as a "brine/marinade". The soy raises the salinity for the 24 hour "soak" in a large ziplock bag.
    Egg at 500, indirect, gasket height, with pecan wood. They came straight from the frig to the grill. About 3-4 mins per side, they had great grill marks with crust, and pulled at 135, wrapped and rested, and then sliced less than .25 across the grain.
    I kept one for the "fee" :lol:
    Kent Madison MS
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Jerry.

I wouldn't think slow cooking would be the way to go either, BUT I threw on a small venison roast after a rib cook. I pulled it at 125 and wrapped and stored in a cold cooler for a few hours. When I finally remembered it, we sliced it like deli meat and it was WAY better than any Roast beef I can recall. It was a beautiful shade of red all the way through.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Here you go Clark:

JB’s VENISON MARINADE
    North Portage Smoke-Shack

1/3 C. soy sauce
    1 t. onion powder
    1 t. garlic powder
    1 t. paprika
    1 t. ginger
    1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
    1 (12 oz.) Coke

1)) Place loin in a 2 gal zip-lock with the marinade. Coat well and place in the fridge. for at least 4 hrs. (Over night will be OK too) turning often.

2)) Remove the loin and wrap in bacon, held in place with tooth picks. Reserve the marinade, if you wish to cook it into an au jus.

3)) Place loin on a hot grill (about 400 F) turning every ten minutes, cooking to your doneness.

Rule of thumb: Temperature is the determining factor here not time, as the size of a loin will vary. I like to cook mine to about 145 F. or even a little less, medium rare to medium (medium being the 145 F mark). This means pulling from the Egg at at about 130 to 135 F. and letting it rest, foiled, for about 15 minutes.

To make an Au Jus of the marinade:

Place the marinade in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a hard boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until you have the thickness you want!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Adam:
    Sound wonderful :) .
    So, how slow was the cook? I do mine at about 400 F. When it comes to a FAST cook (steaks at 700.....Maybe some would see 400 as pretty slow.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Sounds great, Kent.

Do you have measurements for the marinade ingredients, or did you just 'wing it'?
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    one cup of soy, .25 cup of mustard, 1/8th cup of oil, two crushed cloves of garlic, three tablespoons of lemon juice, and 3-4 tablespoons of Bourbon
    Kent Madison MS
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    One other question, Kent.
    You said indirect at 500*, but then it sounds like you seared for 3-4 min. per side to get the grill marks and crust. Did you do a direct sear before the indirect cook, a reverse sear, or were able to get the crust and grid marks even at indirect at that high a temp?

Sorry - 'stickler' for details. :ohmy: :laugh:

BTW, thanks for the marinade amounts !
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    sorry, not indirect at all... everything at gasket level direct!
    Kent Madison MS