Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back Ribs 2-2-1 ?

gdub16
gdub16 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
He all been a while, with 2-2-1 method is the last hour done direct or do you still leave place setter in place?

Comments

• I leave the platesetter in place for the last hour and baste every 15 minutes or so. Makes for a nice glaze and color on the ribs
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I do a 3-1-1 with the platesetter and then bring the temp up and give them direct for several minutes on each side to give them a little char. I personally think wrapping them for 2 hours is way too long. You take a bite and all the meat pulls off the bone.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    more like 3-1-1 though. 2 hours in foil will make soup
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdub16
    Thanks,
    will try 3-1-1 and leave place setter in place for last hour. On another note taking a poll on whether soak wood chunks or not to soak and what type of wood do you use for Ribs. I use Pecan the last few times.

I have some wood chunks that are year or two old will that have baring on flavor and amount of smoke?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    soaking is not required.

there was some debate here the other day about wood being TOO old, but i don't understand why. if wood is dried, the only thing it has given up is water. the lignins and sugars we are after are still there.

i can't see why or how the flavor would diminish in old wood.

when working on an old house, i have snapped two-hundred year old lath in half, dry as a bone, and it is still fragrant as ever.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree - I made this keepsake box for my neighbor from a piece of hand hewn walnut from the timber truss in the roof of his grandparents barn in Indiana that was built in 1869. When I was cutting out the center the smell of that wood was the same robust smell as newly cut walnut wood!
    IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdub16
    One last thing big bone side down or up when using rib rack?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The only time I use a rib rack is for multiple racks and that means they are standing on their edge so the bones are always pointing toward the fire. OTOH are you just laying a rack flat on the rack? If so why bother using a rib rack? It the latter I always go 3 hrs with bone side down, then the 1 hr in foil is bone side up and then the final hour I go 50-50.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdub16
    Hi RRP,
    I am doing 3 full racks so the fit better on grill with rib rack, so it would be big bone side facing down towards the fire right?

when putting in foil do most people spray a little apple juice or a apple cider mix. I have used apple cider mix