Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie needs help for first meal

Options
CarDude
CarDude Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I just got my egg and I need suggestions for a sure-fire Christmas dinner. I was thinking about a Boston Butt or perhaps a beef tenderloin, but I need for this first meal to rock.[p]Suggestions from the eggsperts?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    CarDude,[p]Boston Butt is going to be to hard to try first time out unless you have had other cookers.[p]Beef tenderloin would be much eaiser and the EGG is so forgiving that you can't go wrong.[p]my 2 cents[p]
    CWM

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    CarDude,
    I think beef tenderloin ... easy peasy. Several suggestions already listed below in previous posts. Butt is hard first cook .. very tasty but difficult to sit and watch all night (and you will becuase its your first cook).[p]Go with steak or tenderloin.[p]My 2 cents

• tn slagamater
    Options
    CarDude,Welcome to the Green Egg "cult". You will love it ! I suggest SpatchcocKed Chicken as a great first cook for several reasons : easy to do ; hard to mess up : poultry, especially chicken, really takes on the smoke... you will see a big difference in taste over normal chicken ; also, you will be amazed at how moist it is compared to what you have been used to. Finally, it just takes an hour and the longer cooks, like a butt, need getting a little experience in temperature contol. Not that you could not do an overnite first time out, but you might want to wait a week, get a little practice first... my 02 cents.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    CarDude,[p]I think I'd go for one of the pork tenderloins. Either a coffee crusted or a raspberry chipotle. They are simple, hard to mess up, and will absolutely disappear with a wow. I still impress myself making them and hey, I'm an old-timer. (If I don't stop coughing I'm going to be a dead old-timer).[p]mShark
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    MollyShark, Hope you all had a great time in London ! Thanks for all the posts!!

• Hey CarDude, I believe I'd do me a hurky jurky Turkey, (well a Turkey), you can do one tomorrow in about 3 to 4 hrs ahead of time and still have time for something else. Just sock him or her in there indirect in a v-rack over a drip pan with a couple inches of broth/wine/both at about 325 till the thigh meat is about 185 (you want to keep an eye on the breast of course and it needs to be 160 to 165). Doing ahead is not a problem for the meat being good, just go ahead and slice / carve it and put in a warming tray with a small amount of broth to be reheated covered w/foil at about 190 oven temp.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    tenderloin.jpg
    <p />CarDude,[p]I'd seriously consider Molly's suggestion. She's smart....real smart! [p]Happy Holidays![p]Mike

• bdavidson
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Awww Molly, you're not THAT old!