Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Chanukah

dubah
dubah Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight, at sundown, begins the celebration of the Festival of Lights - Chanukah.
This weekend I'll probably smoke a brisket and make my "famous" potato latkes, for our friends and family.
For anyone who has never made latkes there are plenty of good recipes on the web and most produce fantastic results. Serve with apple sauce, sour cream, ketchup or any/all of above. Kids and adults can't keep away from them.
Happy Chanukah to all.

Comments

• jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    My fiance had originally volunteered to make latkes for my dad's annual Hanukkah party but backed out when she found out they were for 30+ people!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Larry,
    Happy Chanakah to you, your family and all that celebrate!!
    I love latkes!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • I found this set of recipes quite fascinating including several for latkes

Doug
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Here's my favorite latke recipe.
    Grate peeled all purpose potatoes on a chicken wire grater if possible. Do not use a shredding blade of the food propcessor. Important to skin some knuckles doing this. Squeeze out water from grated potatoes. For each large potato add one beaten egg and one half small grated onion. Also two tablespoons of matzo meal. NOT flour, that makes it gummy. Stir it all up. Fry about 1/4 Cup for each latke, or as small as one tablespoon in vegetable or canola OIL. I use peanut oil. Not olive oil. The reason of this season if to commemorate the miracle of oil. Anything fried this week is a celebration.
    Serve with applesauce or sour cream. Really good with corned beef.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Hanukkah Sameach! Best wishes to all.

mShark
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "What's the deal with the different spellings?"
  • Chag Chanuka Sameach! :)
  • Chag Samay-ach to everyone. Enjoy!

Mom made the brisket for tonight so I will have to Egg a brisket another time!
  • we had our latkes....always excellent!!. ..

happy chanukah to all the members of the tribe out there.. .

and remember the definition of all jewish holidays:

1. THEY tried to kill us!
    2. WE won!!
    3. WE ate!!!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I answered my own question! :) I never knew this. :blush:

Hanukka? Chanukah? Hanaka?
    The Different Spellings of Chanukah

There seems to be some confusion surrounding the actual spelling of Chanukah. Part of the reason for this confusion may be due to the fact there is no exact English translation of the Hebrew word for Chanukah.

In fact we have received numerous emails requesting whether these different spellings might also be different holidays. So to help clear up some of the confusion we would like to present a number of the different spellings one might encounter.

•Chanuka
    •Chanukah
    •Chanukkah
    •Channukah
    •Hanukah
    •Hannukah
    •Hanukkah
    •Hanuka
    •Hanukka
    •Hanaka
    •Haneka
    •Hanika
    •Khanukkah

While in the United States it is most common to use the spelling "CHANUKAH," rest assured that they are all the same celebration.
  • JonO
    JonO Posts: 11
    Mmmm... latkes. My favourite. Well any form of fried potato is cool with me.

Happy Chanukah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJCSR4MuhU