Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a XL and need help!!

Options
XLGrEGGer
XLGrEGGer Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a XL EGG right now and not real happy with it. I just don't need that much grill all the time. So, I am selling the XL for $800 and was going to purchase a large EGG. I was also thinking about buying a small too and building a table to fit both. For those people that have 2 EGGS, do you really like having 2 EGGS or it is overkill? Also, I need help with building a table for both with storage. Anyone have some suggestions for the table or opinions that can help me out? Very indecisive at this point. Need some direction.

Thanks!

G's BQ

Comments

• eenie meenie
    Options
    G's BQ have you thought about getting a lump reducer ring from the Ceramic Grill Stores? It effectively turns an XLG into a large.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=232
  • florida Nick
    Options
    I have an XL and a small.
    Like eenie meenie said, the lump reducer from the ceramic grill store is great for doing smaller cooks. I also use the lump reducer when making pizza or when I want both direct and indirect heat while taking advantage of the XLs extra grate space.
    I love having two eggs and I'm sure several others will chime in and tell you the same. The large and small combo is very popular.
    I usually cook for just me and the girlfriend so the small gets used alot for that. However, if I didn't have the small (which I got as a gift after I owned the XL for a year or so) I could easily use the XL with the lump reducer and be perfectly happy.
    If I could only have one? Definitely the XL, there isn't anything the small can do that the XL cant. And I really do like the extra space when doing large cooks or when I dont want to have to think too much and get creative when trying to fit multiple items at once.
    But I'm definitely glad to have both :woohoo:
    Just my two cents
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Living alone, I initially purchased a medium BGE for myself and within two weeks ordered the mini. The med is too big for one steak or a few chops or brats or chix pieces. Having two is so versatile. I can use different methods and different temps. I love two eggs, and often use them both at the same time. My medium is on the BGE short table and Miss Mini is on a chrome cart from Sam's club. Some folk cut a hole in the top shelf for the egg to drop down into. And the mini and small are portable!
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    I wouldn't give up on the XL. More often than not I am very happy to have the additional grill space. I need even more space when cooking meals for friends and I'm looking at extended/adjustable racks to increase my cooking area.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would agree with the others...I have a large and usually I can "make do", but if cooking for a crowd the extra grill space would be nice. Assuming you are going to buy a new large egg the money is almost a wash, so might as well just add a small to your arsenal.

Perhaps you can find some ideas for a table here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Having the large and small combo is very popular.
    This is also a great product for the XL:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=232

Gives you a higher heat spot and indirect area at the same time for the XL. Also works great with a WOK.

Not trying to push you one way or another.
    I have XL as well as large and small.
    My XL is still my favorite.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I split my time between Cincinnati and Florida. I have a LGE and a small in both places This is the perfect combo for me. I think two eggs are great for lots of reasons. I don't know how much you have tied up in the XL or what eggcessories you have with it, but like Rebecca and others said, I would keep the XL and buy a small to go with it. The XL is gaining on the large as far as available eggcessories too. Tom at ceramic griil store is just about ready to market an adjustable rig for the XL.
    You certainly won't go wrong going to a LGE, that is what I started with, but two EGGs are great and you already have half of the pair.
    As for tables, go to the Naked Whiz site and peruse his table gallery, you will get lots of ideas. The table forum on this site is also an excellent resource. When you are ready to build you can get lots of help on here with types of wood, finishes, construction techniques, whatever.
    You
  • danothemano
    Options
    XL with a lump reducer works well. Gives you versatility and the ability to use less lump. I have the open ring lump reducer. Very pleased. I also have a small BGE that I use for smaller cooks. XL and small BGE is a great combination that gives you the best of both worlds!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a large and a mini. For me, having two eggs is overkill. A lot. Bought the large first and it's WAY more egg than I need. Though that's ok - I'd rather have too much than not enough. To a point anyway. The XL would have truly been over the top for one person. Since I got the mini, nearly a year ago, I think I cranked them both up at the same time only once. Didn't need to, but did it anyway. If I need two temps/times, well, that's what ovens are for.

The main reason I bought the mini is so I could avoid some of the New England winter. The eggs don't care, but the cook sure does!! I put the mini in my fireplace and leave it there until spring. Would have preferred a small, but it won't fit. Gotta get a CO detector though. Cooked inside for most of last winter without one and am still here. House is just as drafty as before, and fireplaces ARE for fires after all, but it's time to stop tempting fate.

Bottom line is... I HAVE two eggs, but never use them both.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I do not think that more than one egg is overkill (says the guy with more than one :laugh: ). Yesterday I was using my small, mini, and my bubba keg at one time. I would recommend that you keep the XL if you havent already set your mind on selling it. A lot of people have the large (like me), but my large cannot cook as much as the XL, it just cannot. But I also have the med, sm, and mini. If I could sell one to get the xl, it would be the large. The small is my most used egg, probably followed by the mini. But when I want to go big, the large doesnt always hold everything. I would say get the smallest egg you think your family (or you) would use on a daily basis (fast starts, fuel misers), and keep that big bad boy for when you need the space. Dont sell the XL for a loss.
  • smokingirl
    Options
    I have a XL & L. XL was my first a little to big for just the family (3) of us so I got a Large and love it. i also use the XL for company or when doing a big smoke.
    I would keep the XL and also get a smaller one. You can't have to many eggs! :-)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    All great points.
    My travel set is a Small and Mini. My wife won another Mini at the Plano gathering and we just traded it in for another small.
    This was from Tday at a friends house last week. Another great use for a gasser, it makes a great photo background... :laugh:
    9 pound rib roast on the small and apps on the Mini.

001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are in Georgia I will trade you my large egg and my table for a large and small egg for your XL. I love having more than 1 egg and frequently use more than 1 at a time.

eggss.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Ummmmmm...We have 4 Eggs, and used to have 5. :blush::whistle: We have 3 large and a medium, had a mini, but it was just too 'mini' to meet the needs of our household. Also, we have stayed true to nests with mates. That way, we can put them wherever we want them based on wind direction, weather conditions, etc...I don't think we'll ever permanently install them into a kitchen or table, but that's just us. You will not regret having two eggs. (We'll see how long it takes for you to get your 3rd... :laugh: )
  • Metalhead
    Options
    what a great idea, putting ur mini in the fireplace. I love that. I wish I had a fireplace now.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    the XL is a great thing. Love it, especially when it comes to feed a huge number of hungry folks :)

Cooked 4 packers in it and also 50 pounds of pork butt fits in the XL (with additional raised grid).

But If you have never to cook fo such a huge number of folks, the Lare and Medium or Large and Small combo is perhaps the better choice. More verstile, cause you can cook food and siedes with different temps.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Wow, its a shame to hear that you are so unhappy with the XL. I wouldn't know what to do with a smaller grill area. Just this past sunday I made chicken and steak fajitas, with grilled peppers in onions. I was able to cook all of them at the same time thanks to the surface area.

I think people have a misconception that the XL wastes a lot of charcoal. All you have to do is close off the bottom and top air feeds and the lump will go out. You can use the same charcoal at least twice, if not three times to cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i have a large and small at home and a large at camp. bought the small thinking i would use it out camping for the travel egg, but what ended up happening is that i need my large for camping. the small doesnt get used much at all, i really prefer the large and the cooking characteristics that the large gives with a raised grid and the extra height above the burning lump for cooking direct, i cook direct whenever possible.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Right on Q
    Options
    More Eggs the better!!!! I tell everyone who asks me what size to start with and I tell them start with a large. The XL is a lot bigger than you think. Uses more charcoal and tough to get up to temps for small. The large and medium I use more for everyday cooks while the large is best for when I have large amounts to cook.

100_2553.jpg
  • XLGrEGGer
    Options
    Love your table. Do you have any demensions on this? Length of the top?

Thanks!