Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Cooking Brisket for Large Party

Udaman55
Udaman55 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been a long time lurker but first time poster and I was hoping the community could me some advice on an upcoming cook and if I could finish a brisket in the oven after it has been off of the egg for ~ 24hrs.

The predicament I am in is I am hosting a graduation party for a friend and he asked that I cook brisket for everybody, problem is I have a large Big Green Egg and he is expecting 35-40 people. The party is at 3 PM on Saturday and I can't have a brisket going while I am at work on Friday.

One thought that I currently contemplating is starting brisket #1 when I get home from work on Thursday evening and taking it off of the egg Friday morning and finishing it in the oven on Saturday morning while brisket # 2 is cooking on the egg from Friday evening till Saturday afternoon. Has anyone finished a brisket in the oven a day later? Does anybody have any other ideas on how I cook 25-30lbs of brisket and have it ready by Saturday at 3, given that I can't cook during the day on Friday?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This will work and is very good reheated. Get little burger/slider buns and the food will go farther.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=633044&catid=1
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Get 4 8lb briskets and start them at 2 in the morning on Saturday. All you need is the rack extender and you're good
  • Can you cook both briskets at the same time using a rack with one over the other? Otherwise if you have to cook separate, I would cook your first one, wrap in foil with beef broth or other liquid around 170 and pull around 200. Put it in an empty cooler for at least an hour, then slice it. I slice full slices then I slice that down the middle. If you don't people will take more just by nature. Then put in a tin pan and pour the juices in there. Cover tight and refrigerate.

When you reheat you want to get over 140. It might take 2 hours. I would reheat around 300 degrees. You might add a can of beef broth if it starts to dry.

If you do brisket number 2 on Friday night into Saturday it will be fine in an empty cooler and stay hot for up to five hours or longer from time you put in cooler. If me I would try to time it for 2 hours in cooler then slice and serve. I would also serve that one first.

I did brisket for 125 a few months back and cooked it ahead of time and that's how I reheated and it was all moist.