Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Quest Continues

Options
Mr Holloway
Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, made a few mistakes on this cook, but had a break though with the crust. Finally "got" the hand stretching thing. I have been rolling out my dough. Good, but not what I was looking for
With these pies I worked on stretching the dough by hand. Still need a ton of practice but I am willing to eat my way to success :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A few pics

Getting the dough ready
dough-1.jpg

This was the first one, which got a little burnt on the bottom. Thought I had the excessive topping thing under control... ah, not yet :angry:
Pie2-1.jpg
OOps.jpg
Pie.jpg
The second one turned out better on the bottom but it should have been left on a few more minutes
PizzaPie-2.jpg

Will keep working on the crust, but the hand stretching is a big step towards the pizza grail :)

Thanks for looking

Shane

Comments

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Great job, looking good. I love Pizza on the egg.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    :laugh: Great Looking Pizza! I can only eat pizza cooked on the egg! :cheer:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey your pizza looks fine. ;)

Better than mine cause I don't have any. :( I hope to get into the pizza making gig this winter. Tim
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    That looks really good.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those are some tasty looking pizzas. I've grilled pizza before, but can't wait to try it on my new egg. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• robfern
    Options
    Those look great Shane!

I too am TRYING to learn a good hand stretching technique....that sounds bad!

Anyhow, do you mind sharing the dough recipe you are using? Or is this store bought dough?

robfern
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    If you are making your own dough, try making it with less flour so when you scretch it by hand (no rolling pin) the gravity of the dough will scretvh itself after it has aged a minimum of 24 hours.

I usually push my fingers (2") into a freshly made dough ball and the dough should just not stick to your fingers, still tacky thou. If your dough calls for sugar,immediatley cut that amount in half. The Egg has intense bottom baking heat, or omit the sugar all togther.

Make sure the dough is at room temp before you rolling or and do not over handle it, you want to leave the little bubbles alone.

When your dough rises in the Egg, pull the paper out from underneath it, a combination of things can happen in resulting in burning. Make sure your stone is at a suffcient temp (not cold) all doughs bake at different temps and being in the Egg a intensive bottom bake, you want to allow for more time inorder for the top to brown. My pizza's crust are lighter than most but I like it like that, it resembles a wood burning pizza.

Good luck ;)
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Thank you Judi
    The Egg really does pizza well :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Hey Tim
    Egged Pizza= Yummmmm :laugh: :laugh:

Shane
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Hey Griffin
    You guys will love the pizza off the Egg.
    If you do a search for Zippylip's pizza, you will never buy another. :)

Shane
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Robfern
    I am bouncing around with a couple of breadmaker recipes.
    Doing a search for Zippylip's pizza recipe is the best though.
    I would try that dough first

Shane
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Hey Primeggister1
    Thanks for the tips.
    I had the pleasure of trying your Za at NiEggara
    It was fantastic!!! :woohoo:
    I was watching you guys work all day. Learned a lot.
    I really appreciate the reply

Shane
  • Fellow Traveler
    Options
    I have been using large marges no knead dough receipe. I have had good results with it although I am still learning the streching thing too. What has been a problem is the dough sticks to everything :angry: . So I finally threw in the towel and bought some parchment paper. I am going to try that this weekend.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    So far I have found that cooking pizza is easier in the oven. Boo! Hiss! Hang him! :evil:

Just got an egg 2 months ago. I will use a pizza stone on top of the eggsetter with the feet. Hopefully that will make a difference.

I like my pizza thin and chewy. The dough toward the middle is see through. While there are numerous ways to make pizza, I like to mimick my favorite pizzaria. I use 100% flour, 64% cold water, 0.4% Instant dry Yeast, 1.7% salt. Adding up to 1-1.5% olive oil is optional. Start mixing with about 70% of the flour for 10-15 minutes. Then add the remainder. Let it ferment/rise in the fridge for 24 hour. Then divide into balls. Balls should last a few days without any isse.
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Hey FT
    Parchment is great, I pull it out after about 4 min. on the Egg.
    I want to get a peel once I get better with the dough.
    One pie at a time :laugh:
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Mikee
    I think once you try a pie on the Egg, you'll be hooked :laugh: