Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tile for BGE Table Top?

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey there everyone! I bought a table a while back for my XL BGE. The problem that I have is that the soot from the smoke seems to settle on the table top and turns it black. I have pressure washed it about 5 times and even had to reapply stain and poly to it twice already. It does no good at all. So I was thinking maybe I would tile the top of the table. Has anybody tried this? I don't know how tile would hold up to the heat and I have no idea how I would cut the tile to fit around the hole in the table.

I saw here a while back that someone had used granite for their top and that it cracked. Any input on this would be helpful. I am tired of pressure washing and re-staining my table every 2-3 months.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I am not sure what you are burning in your BGE that gives you soot but...I have granite tiles on my table and they work fine. I bought dark colored granite tiles from HD and they are sealed with grout into the table. My table is 6 ft long. I used 6 12" tiles so I have 3 ft of work space on the table...I have had the table for 3 years and have placed hot plate setters, CIDO, etc on the granite with no problem...good luck...
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The quick answer is: paint it black.

I have an untreated table that is very grungy but I have not noticed it turning black from smoke. Tiling should be quite simple but the real trick will be in how to treat the edge of the hole. Cutting the tile to fit around the hole is not difficult. You can rent a tile saw (or even buy one for a hundred bucks. I would suggest finding a thin piece of stainless steel and screwing it to the edge of the cutout so it sticks up about 1/4 inch above the existing table top. Then you can tile right up to the edge of the hole and let grout fill in between the stainless and the tile.

Now that you have caused me to be embarassed about ho wmy table looks, I might just paint it with black enamel.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I have tile two stock Egg tables. One is two years old and the other was just purchased in September.

DSC_0588resized.jpg

I used 4" tiles on the first one and 1" tile sheets on the second.

DSC_0593resized.jpg

Here's the post showing how we did it.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/big-green-egg-table-finished.html
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I don't know the specifics of the granite top that cracked, but I have a one inch thick granite top table between my two Eggs, and I love it. It is in the weather extremes and I put hot things straight on it. Haven't had a problem in a little over a year.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    I assume it's some sort of soot from the charcoal that is settling on the table. It's not mold. It's black and that's the only place I can think it's coming from.

Vidalia and Nibble: What did you both use to cut your tile to fit around the hole? Nibble, your link was very helpful but the tiles on your dry run were different at the hole than when you put them there permanently. What did you do to make it fit perfectly around the hole?

Thanks!
  • stevesails
    Options
    you might want to try a better sealer, I am a boater and used some "Sikkens" / "cetol" clear coat on my table, 3 or 4 coats and everything just wipes off. You can find it at any Marine store, and sometimes better hardware stores.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I used a cheap pair of tile nippers on the 1" ones.

With the dry run, I was just trying to come close. Notice the metal flashing in the other pictures I nipped the tiles as close as I could to the edge of that and then grouted around it all to get a somewhat smoother edge than just rough cut tile. So the grout against the flashing is what gives you the nice round opening, not the tiles themselves. Does that make sense?

This was only the second time I've worked with tile so it was really a trial and error kind of thing, but it worked out well.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    Options
    I have used tile for a table and it works great. I use a 4"grinder with a diamond blade to cut it. Works good for the circular cut. If you don't have one, those little hand grinders come in handy for alot of other jobs.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Are you sure that is soot from smoke? It could be charcoal dust from when you pour new charcoal straight from the bag.
  • Hiites
    Hiites Posts: 26
    Options
    I used granite tile on the top of my table and I cut the curves with an ARCUS blade in a circular saw. It worked great. I had to set up a jig to cut the correct radius but it wasn't too difficult. I also rigged some tubing to be able to squirt water on the blade while in use. I didn't HAVE to do that but I wanted it to keep the dust down and to extend the life of the blade. You can see the "compass" rig I made to cut the curves here: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=943672&catid=13
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I used spar varnish on my table. Seems to clean up well when I bother to do it.

My table is about a year old and I use the BGE two to four times a week. The dirt and soot is a badge of honor for a well used grill. When we have company, I clean it off with some Simple Green and a paper towel. It seems to do the job. I also kind of brush off the table whenever I clean out the ash.

I have my BGE sitting on a 3/4 inch piece of granite and have a second piece of granite in the top for hot stuff. No cracks yet. However, I can see getting cracks if you use granite tile (about 1/8 inch thick) or do not have the granite supported properly since granite will crack if it is twisted or bent with enough force.

Tile would be nice, but you still have to do the maintenance. Good luck to you.
  • Right on Q
    Options
    I made this table this past Summer. I used marble tile for the top. I guess I will see how it holds through the Western New York Winter. B)

100_2555.jpg
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Oh, and Capt'n, you're probably right about where the black is coming from on my table top. I hadn't considered that it was from charcoal dust from when I pour it in the Egg.

Lot's of ideas to consider. Thanks again folks!