Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bean Recipe for Egret Ham Bones??

Options
BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never been a big bean fan but am starting to acquire the taste. My wife, on the other hand, is a huge fan. Since I did two of Egret's hams this week I have a couple of the bones with lost of meat still attached.

So, what's your go-to recipe for beans?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Make it easy on yourself. In the dried bean section of your grocery store they have beans with little pouches of spices in the bag. Bring the beans to a boil and then take off the heat for an hour. Add the spices and ham bone. Cook at a simmer for a couple of hours till it starts to thicken. The instructions on the bag are more specific, but this is the general idea. Good stuff!
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Thanks Steve, had no idea. I planned on buying dried beans but didn't know this existed. Thanks!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The after the ham cook is as good as the ham cook. You have gold there.

Here is a great bean recipe, I use baby Lima beans but feel free to substitute Navy beans I suggest staying with Lima though.

You have already smoked the ham so this works great just cooked in a crock pot. The get he best results the cook takes 4 to 8 hours on high. It will taste good all along but the best taste is when the water turns brown. As you cook longer the water will get more brown.

Here ya go one of GG's favorite and the gang loves it. This also fridges well and freezes well. I have some in the fridge and will heat it up for lunch tomorrow. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

1 lb Baby Lima Beans (2 cups)
    2 ½ qt water
    ¾ cup diced carrots
    ¾ cup chopped onions
    ¾ cup chopped celery
    ¾ cup diced potatoes
    ¼ clove finely chopped garlic (garlic powder) or garlic power
    3-4 bay leaves
    3 peeper corns (or ground pepper) to taste
    2 ham shanks or the ham bone and all the leftover pieces

soak beans overnight (drain beans) drain and sort out the bad beans/beans that didn't 'swell'.

Put the beans in the crock pot/or Dutch Oven
    add all ingredients slow simmer 2 hrs minimum
    remove meat from bone, chop and return to pot

If you cook longer leave the bone in the pot as it will just get better tasting.

I usually make a double batch when I make this soup.

Good eating you will love this.

Another great soup is split pea soup with the ham bone & pieces.

You will have enough for both if you like.

GG
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I did butter beans yesterday- outstanding...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Red beans and Rice!!,the post below was made with an Egret ham bone
    • 1 pound red kidney beans, dry
    • 1 large red onion, chopped
    • 1 bell pepper, chopped
    • 5 ribs celery, chopped
    • 6 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
    • 1 or 2 bay leaves
    • A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
    • Salt to taste
    • Several cups of turkey or chicken stock
    Either soak beans overnight, or do a quick soak, which means bringing them to a boil for 2 minutes, turn heat off, let stand covered for 1 hour, drain and rinse beans. While that is happening, dice the trinity ( onion, bp, celery) and sauté in your DO. Add the garlic at the end. When veggies are soft and translucent, add the beans, enough stock to cover, bay leaf, thyme, worcestershire. Reduce to a slow simmer, on the egg I keep the dome250-275 if direct, 275-300 if indirect
    They will need to cook a while, check your liquid level every 30 min or so, add as needed.
    As they start to thicken and get creamy, add salt, BP. Creole seasoning to taste. I like mine just moderately spice, don’t want to overwhelm the flavor of the beans
    Traditional RB&R uses andouille sausage, when I made the batch yesterday, they tasted so good I didn’t add it
    Enjoy
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    If you want to accelerate the bean cooking...

I place 1 cup of dried beans (pinto) into my pressure cooker with 2 Cups water or broth. Bring to high pressure (15 psi) for 30 minutes then allow to cool down naturally. Beans cooked perfectly.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Here's mine that I've perfected over the years.

RRP’s Ham & Bean Soup

1# navy beans prepared as described below
    9 pints of water will be needed in total
    3 cups of diced ham
    1 left over ham bone
    ¼ pound butter
    1 cup grated carrots (1 large one)
    1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
    1 cup thinly diced celery (about 2 large stalks)
    2 tsp freshly ground pepper (90 grinds)
    4 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp chili powder
    2 T sifted flour
    ½ t Wright’s concentrated hickory liquid smoke
    ½ t Kitchen Bouquet

Sort through beans for any bad ones, rinse and place in large pot with 4 pints of cold water. Bring to a boil for three minutes, turn off heat, but leave on the burner and keep covered for one hour and 15 minutes.

Drain beans and rinse again. Add 4 pints of cold water, plus the ham bone. Simmer for 3 hours. First hour uncovered and next 2 hours with cover slightly ajar.

Sauté the carrots, celery and onions in ¼ lb of butter. Season with salt, pepper, comino powder and chili powder. In a separate bowl place 2 T of sifted flour and THEN add 1 pint of tap hot water and mix thoroughly to make a slurry and set aside.

Remove ham bone and add leftover diced ham, sautéed vegetables and flour slurry to the pot of beans. Add the Wright’s smoke and Kitchen Bouquet and stir well. Heat thoroughly on simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Skim off any large poolings of fat if you want which will might rise during this final stage…but that is where the taste comes from – let alone that ¼ pound of butter!

Lastly, 1 pint of this well mixed hearty soup is a nice size serving. Normally this recipe yields 7+ pints of bodacious ham and bean soup!

Enjoy!

PS My well stocked soup shelves in the freezer...FoodSaver bags make storage and reheating a snap!
    IMG_1717.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07518aa.jpg

One of my favorite beans are Great Northern's and I use a Senate Bean recipe as a guide for mine. The origin of this famous soup is unknown. There are two stories about the first request of this soup in the Senate. Senator Fred Dubois of Idaho and Senator Knute Nelson of Minnesota are both linked to the first request to serve the soup. The Dubois version has mashed potatoes added as a thickener. The recipe served in the Senate today does not include mashed potatoes.

Now, Everyone claims to have a recipe for “Senate Bean Soup”. This one is from the famous Belgian cook Jean Debruyn. This style of soup is prepared every day in the U.S Senate Restaurant.

SENATE BEAN SOUP

2 cups dried Great Northern (or Navy) beans, pre-soaked in water overnight, then drained.
    2 quarts water
    2 smoked ham shanks (or smoked ham hocks or ham bone with some meat left on)
    1 medium onion - diced
    2 green onions (with tops) - diced
    ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke (only use this if you want extra smokey beans)
    ¼ cup butter (or 1/8 cup of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil) I use much less butter than this.
    1 bay leaf
    2 cloves of garlic – crushed
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon summer savory (optional)
    1 teaspoon epazote (optional)
    salt to taste. Add the salt at the end, otherwise the beans will be tough.

Garnish with chives or chopped parsley.

COOKING METHOD
    Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until browned. Put the beans and the water into a large pot or dutch oven. Add the onions, ham, bay leaf, pepper, garlic and liquid smoke and optional spices. Cover and boil gently until the beans are tender. The beans can be cooked in the oven, just be careful to adjust and monitor the temperature (250 to 300 degrees) to maintain a gentle boil. Add a little more water if needed. As the beans become tender, add salt to taste.

Remove the ham and shred the meat, then return to soup. For a heartier and thicker ham and bean stew simply add more ham and cook down the broth. If the beans become too thick during this stage of cooking, add chicken broth (not water) to thin.

DSC08006a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Wow, great info and recipes...far better than I found when searching. Thanks everyone!!

Bruce
  • Capn Spaulding
    Options
    Tried this last night and all i can say is - delicious! Thanks for sharing!