Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low temp break-in needed??

Options
Central Pork
Central Pork Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 new eggs to go along with my medium. Is it important to do some low and slow cooks on new eggs to "break-then-in"?? I know some other cookers advise this, but havent seen anywhere on the BGE site or in BGE literature where this is necessary.
CP

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]I forget who it was that just got a mini like me, but they opened it, set it up, and hit 800 plus for a steak. [p]All is well. Sear away.[p]p.s. I did put a small load in my two new ones, but only to light them both. I'm sure they'd have been fine without it.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    CentralPork,
    I have never done a "break in" on any of my 4 eggs....hell the things are fired at a couple thousand degrees in the factory..go figure...HTH[p]Wess

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Mark Backer, Admit it. You were skeerd, very skeerd. ;>)

• Central Pork
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Well darn...I was hoping you guys would say a break in was needed !!! I have a prime rib (requiring a high temp sear of course) which I absolutely have to do for Christmas Day, but was looking for an excuse to do some baby backs. Its gonna be right about 0 degrees here this evening and without a valid excuse to do some ribs( hence a low and slo breakin) the wifey is gonna think I'm nuts.......You guys have a great Christmas.
    CP

• CentralPork, I don't think a break in is needed either. Since your a new user and all though and you mention that high temp sear on the prime rib, let me tell ya...I thought I wuz not only going to walk away from doing that one time with no arm hairs left - but I thought sure I wuz just going to have to let the fire have the darn thing...soooo what I learned after that from the pros here is 500 or 550 is high enough for one of those things.

• CentralPork,
    I think under the circumstances you would be nuts not to do a low and slow break in. I would absolutely not take any chances...but I love ribs. Heeeeee!
    ~cheers