Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Bone In Rib Roast

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any suggestions on cooking one of these?

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I like to go simple with this king of roasts. Salt, pepper and granulated garlic on all sides. Sometimes I dust with flour after applying the spices. Roast 350' for about 16-18 mins per pound for medium. Internal temp can change quickly, so keep an eye out. I pull at 125' and tent for a half hour. Ask for one with the fat cap to keep it moist. Use a drip pan, indirect. Use the drippings for Yorkshire pudding. Oh my, can't wait for these to go on sale again. You're killing me.
  • Lovenbrau
    Options
    I have done several of these that were outstanding. I get the dome to 500 degrees, stable. Then indirect with drip pan put the meat on with fat side up. Let it get back to 500 then shut the vents until it gets to 350. Cook at 350 for 20 min per pound for medium rare.fb195600.jpg
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Ahhh, that sounds like a Tyler Florence way to cook a rib roast. I also use that method and love it.
  • Critter
    Options
    Dave - Love the Herb crust idea, do you happen to have a recipe for the Herbs and Evoo (ratios of ea.)?
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Sure...

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup each of basil, oregano, parsley, and rosemary. The recipe says the herbs should be chopped, but I used the food processor to get a better consistency. Use about 3 Tbsp EVOO, 1 Tbsp fresh ground pepper, and 1 Tbsp kosher salt.

The recipe says to press 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic onto the roast then put the herb paste on. I added the garlic to the paste in the food processor. I have done it according to the recipe, but I like a smoother consistency in the paste.

If you have chunks of garlic and a rough cut herb paste, you should wrap the roast in cheese cloth to hold the herbs and garlic on while cooking. With the smoother paste, I did not need the cheese cloth.

This is enough paste and garlic for a 12 - 14 lb roast.

The recipe calls for smoking at 275 - 300 with hickory, but I used pecan chunks. The pecan gives a mellower smoke flavor.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Critter
    Options
    Thanks Dave....I think I'm going to try this for our Prime Rib on Christmas Day ;)

I like your idea of Pecan chunks as well. A friend of mine gave me a case of the Jack Daniels charcoal with chunks of white oak staves in it, I don't ever use that type of charcoal in my cookers but I do tend to rob those staves so I will probably go with a bit of white oak for the cook :)

I have even entertained the idea of buying a used barrel from a winery and cutting up the staves for the egg but haven't done it yet.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Dave, that herb recipe sounds good!

Lovenbrau, that roast was beautiful!!