Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough

Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried yet another new pizza dough recipe for last night's pizza and while it was tasty, it still was difficult to roll out. I made it the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight as this sometimes helps but this was still annoyingly springy. I can never roll the dough out. I have to basically hold it up by an edge and let the weight of it pull the rest of it down. It still springs back a lot when I put it down.

How do I make dough that isn't so springy?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • since that's basically the same as all the dough recipes I've tried, I just have a hard time believing the dough is going to stretch out easily.

The only dough I've ever made that didn't spring back was a dough so wet that you basically were pushing it into shape on a parchment paper. It made a great tasting crust but was again was very difficult to work with, just for a different reason.

What am I doing wrong? Is it something in my water?

Should I NOT be letting it sit overnight? Because when I've tried to do it the same day, it's even more springy.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Are you working a cold dough? If so try and let it get to room temp. Just thinking out loud..
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • The one and only I use...
    It really is failsafe.

MOM'S PIZZA DOUGH
    Dad’s Kitchen
    (This is enough dough for two 13” thin crusts)

1 pk. Dry yeast
    1 C. warm (100 F.) water
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. salt
    2 T. olive oil
    2-1/2 C. flour (all purpose / un bleached)
    1/2 C. additional flour for the knead

1)) Dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand for about 5 minutes.

2)) Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well with a spoon.

3)) In the bowl…Add small amounts of the “kneading” flour, punching in with your fist until the dough cleanly pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This will take, more or less, about ½ C.

4)) Using you hands spread / stretch (yes, you can roll it too)the dough to the desired shape

You can let this rise or use NOW! Really makes little differance.
    And a tip: Rub a few drops of olive oil into your hands (if you're doing a toss or by hand) before placing / stretching the dough.
  • Where do you get your 00 flour? I've used this before with good results, but I had to order it online and it was costly. Wish I could find either a convenient source or at least an affordable online source.
  • I use Peter Reinhart's recipes. They are excellent. I own the book American Pie; should be all you need.
  • Dimple's Mom wrote:
    Where do you get your 00 flour? I've used this before with good results, but I had to order it online and it was costly. Wish I could find either a convenient source or at least an affordable online source.

If you have an Italian grocery store near you you may be able to find it. When I lived in Columbus OH it was easy to find. Here in central MI, less so.
  • the mixing method from this site will make a dough that is easy to open and works with all recipes
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Gwen: How long are you mixing it? Are you using a KA mixer? Kneeding by hand?? Either method, for how long?? What kind of flour? All Purpose? Bread? Sounds like you are developing too much gluten. :blink: Thus, the ridiculous amount of spring/elasticity. I think you are over working it. Look forward to hearing from you.
  • This last batch I made the dough in the bread machine. That recipe called for bread flour. The recipe specified to make the dough in a bread machine, but perhaps it did get too much kneading.

Other recipes I've made have been in the KA and I've used reg flour and bread flour and a combo. Pretty much tried everything. And always with the same results - a nice dough but very hard to stretch out without it springing back.

The only one that does not spring back too much was a very wet dough that I made that was not unlike Jeff Varasano's method and recipe. So I guess that's the trick.

I'm heading into downtown Seattle tomorrow and I have a line on a place to get 00 flour at a decent price and in a big bag. So I'll stop by there and check it out. I ordered a bag once online. There wasn't very much and it was costly, but I do remember liking the dough that came from that bag.