Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frod poz & the bacon 'bottomed' pie

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the best part of the garlic munchkin cup o’ pizza was the friedness of the dough. Pizza already being just about the best food on earth I figure the only way to improve it is to fry it, seems to work for everything else. Fried pizzas:

Heat up the cast iron pan & add olive oil:

018.jpg

Chrow in the dough & fry side one for a couple minutes:

019.jpg

Flip, season with garlic powder, onion salt & pepper:

020.jpg

Remove to cooling rack (trying to think this through, you could top it as soon as you flip it, but with each successive pie the pan gets a little hotter & the time a little less to finish the toppings, plus you could only serve one at a time & everyone wouldn’t be able to eat together, these being mini one-per-customer pies & whatnot):

021.jpg

So I fried them all, topped, added the setter & put then crusts on a grid to finish the toppings (figuring the radiant can cook the toppings without too much further cooking of the crust):

023.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

The final one was brie with onion & garlic and a little drizzle of 12 year old balsamic vinegar when on the plate:

024.jpg

032.jpg

035.jpg

Another way to improve anything is to add bacon. Of course, bacon isn’t a new pizza topping, but if cooked into the crust on the bottom, that could be interesting. No sooner did I think of this that an old post by thirdeye came to mind, had to rummage through his stuff to find it (the bacon wrapped potato & cheese post). I par-nuked the bacon a few strips at a time sandwiched between paper towels & two plates to render some of the fat & liquid & also to keep the pieces flat:

013.jpg

014.jpg

Cut each piece in half & line a spring form pan going about one inch up the sides:

015.jpg

Take a one-half batch of dough risen for about 2 hours, punch it down & flatten to the size of the pan then place in, cover with plastic wrap & let rise another couple hours:

016.jpg

017.jpg

Wasn’t really sure what to top this pie with, went with a mix of cheddar & mozzarella along with caramelized onion & garlic:

025.jpg

Put it way up in the dome at 450, took about 25 minutes:

038.jpg

Rested for about 10 minutes & took the pan off:

040.jpg

044.jpg

047.jpg

And of course the all important baconafied crust:

048.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend, Marc
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania