Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pernil

Grub Blogger
Grub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made a pernil with my father-in-law, using the recipe for the marinade he has perfected over the last 20 years down in Panama. I can't give away the secret ingredient, but you'd do fine with a mix of onion, red bell pepper, garlic, some soy or Worcestershire, salt and pepper. We used culantro, which can be hard to find in the U.S., but cilantro or just plain flat leaf parsley works. Rubbed her down with salt before adding the marinade, and sliced some pockets to get the marinade into the meat.

On the Egg at around 400* with a few chunks of hickory, covered with foil for 2 hours. We basted it and then another hour or so with the foil off. We didn't check temp, but knew it was done when it is kind of wobbled when poked.

This is traditionally made with the upper leg, but it was too big at the butcher, so we used a boston butt.

++

TG%20007.JPG
++
TG%20020.JPG
++
TG%20042.JPG
++
TG%20044.JPG
++
TG%20046.JPG
++
TG%20049.JPG
++
TG%20051.JPG

Comments

• Your pernil looks incredibly delicious. :) What did you serve with the pernil?

Now I'll be trying to figure out the secret ingredient.....
  • It was part of our Thanksgiving feast, but traditionally you would serve it some combination of white rice, fried plantains, red or black beans, a small side salad, etc. I think a side of corn bread, while not traditional, would go great with it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Beautiful!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    looks great

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large