Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Advice Sought

Options
Sun Deviled Egg
Sun Deviled Egg Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been egging for a few years now and I have a consistent issue I can't seem to overcome. When I cook using the platesetter, my smoke flavor is weak at best. I typically throw in chunks of mesquite in with my coals and I'll get good smoke in the beginning, but it does not seem to last. For my Thanksgiving turkey, I used mesquite pellets mixed in with the coals and also wrapped some in foil with holes. The result was a perfectly cooked turkey with only a wisp of smoke flavor.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Go Devils!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    wood on top? if the wood is only on top, the fire can either use it up, or actually burn from under it. the fire (in my egg anyway) goes downward. not in a spiral, not outward, just DOWN.

if i want continuous smoke (and sometimes that can be too much), i will add lump to a fairly empty egg (or just move aside any lump already there) and build the fire in layers.

like this>> a little lump, some chips or small chunks, some more lump, some chips/chinks, some more lump, and so on until it is filled to where i want it. i leave the chips OFF the top.

i light the egg, and when the lumop is burnging clear and i'm at temp, i add some chips into the fire, drop in the indirect set-up and the meat.

burning down, the fire will keep finding wood. i have previously gambled it all on big chunks set up on top, but often the fire says "thanks very much", it smokes for a short while, and then the fire moves on to new fuel (and where the wood ISN'T).

chips or chunks is an argument not worth having. the same amount of wood will last as long whether it is in chink or chip form. and given the propensity of the fire to travel, i like to hedge my bets and put chips spread up and down in a column.

ignore the advice that "meat only takes on smoke for the first hour or so". it's a myth
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sun Deviled Egg
    Options
    Appreciate your response.

Yes, I've been putting the chunks mostly on top and clearly that's not working. Even tried the spiral arrangement to no avail (also on top). I'll do as you suggest - makes logical sense, but I'll make a concerted effort next time.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    If you read the side of the package the surgeon general has some advice. :woohoo:

I really like the cast iron pot you can buy from Fred's. I fill it with chips and pellets and let it rip. I don't know if it is the best but it sure is easy and I seem to get the smoke flavor I want.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No idea if this will give you what you're looking for, but before I bought my egg, I used a terra cotta flower pot to do butts and ribs and stuff. The idea is, you place a steel pie plate or cake pan full of smoke wood on top of a hot plate. The heat cooks the meat and also causes the wood to smolder. Maybe it would work on the egg... just place the pan on the coals. Then again, the fire seems to move around a bit, so maybe not? Just thinkin' out loud... :)

smoker_disa.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut