Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Guess What\'s Hanging in my Basement

stikestike Posts: 15,597
edited 1:38AM in EggHead Forum
about 17 pounds of meat, open air, unrefrigerated, two weeks to go before it's 'done'. :laugh:

if someone guesses correctly, i'll post a pic.

(zippy, steven, fidel are NOT eligible to play, due to previous conversation re: this month's dusty basement meat)
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
·

Comments

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    does it involve sweatsocks? :whistle:
    ·
  • Giada would be proud if it was a Prosciutto.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    nope. i have a few breast of DP laying on a rack. close, but no cigar.

15 pounds of duck prosciutto... yikes. slip one each into the pocket of the russian army maybe
    ·
    'A' prosciutto. excellent. poolboy was thinking duck, but you are closer. i will be doing a prosciutto, but first gotta get a good organic ham
    close, but also no cigar
    ·
    keep guessing though ;)
    ·
  • Some kind of a dried sausage?

I was going to guess lardo or pork belly, but with a weight of 17 lbs, I decided against it. I was considering bresaola, but from your response to Le Oeuf Vert thought it would need to be a pork product.

Whatever you're up to, I can't wait to see it. I would appreciate it very much if would be so kind as to post pics throughout the curing process.
    ·
  • pattikakepattikake Posts: 1,175
    Is it a small pig?

Patti
    Wichita, KS
    ·
  • is it DUCK? ;)
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Traditional ham. ?
    ·
  • I hope it's Pancetta
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That's what I would guess.Pancetta.
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    My guess is Salami :)
    Although I think that hangs longer :unsure:
    ·
    You are onthe right track. Don't assume it is one thing that weighs 17#, it's two pieces actually. One 9# and the other about 8#
    ·
    Ding ding ding ding ding

pics to follow
    ·
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Pork belly......bacon
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,607
    my quess was it is a tired Mad Max in a straight jacket!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Stike, I assumed it wasn't pancetta because you told us the other week you had 3 pieces of pork belly and were preparing one sweet , another savory, and for the third you were making pancetta. I thought this was commmon knowledge and was therefore trying to guess what else you might be up to (besides no good). :laugh: Have you considered that some of us might actualy read your posts? B)

Re:Started the Christmas Roast Tonight...
    Date: 2010/11/19 09:08 By: stike

actually... decided on pancetta last night. mentioned it to my wife, and she said "yes" before i could finish my sentence.. (just like the old days!)

so: bacons will be sweet, savory, and pancetta

gonna dry it three weeks i think

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • a dead hooker? lol just kidding
    ·
    you get points for being wrong because you would have been right but since you thought it was so obvious as to be wrong, then you had to pick the wrong answer if you had any chance of being right. i think.

i think i jumped the gun. i am going to post the pics later, when it has dried..

even i am looking at the two of those things a "tad askew", given that it's basically uncooked meat hanging in the open air.

but i am "trusting in the chemical gods"
    ·
  • Did you roll them, or leave them flat?
    ·
    rolled
    ·