Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked mussels and a score

lowercasebill
lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the mussles are a hit every time i do them

07504735.jpg

6cfac94e.jpg

86f2f0f8.jpg

8c6806d2.jpg

scored these from the neighbors who are moving into a retirement village

f0b6324b.jpg

6c75d55a.jpg

Comments

• Nice, I love mussels. I have never smoked them like that. Thanks for posting this.

Nice score on the cookbooks.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    bill: Those look wonderful!! What kind of wood do you use? I haven't had smoked mussels in years!
  • i was excited to find the galloping gormet. apparently the book and i are so old the pictures are in black and white.. i loved his show ,, he [and Julia] getting tipsy on tv :laugh:
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's pretty cool... that book looks in great shape too.

i personally haven't been into mussels for the last 7 years... ate too many on a trip down east (PEI)
    context is important :)
  • julies maine applewood, best part is the necesary constant tasting to get the smoke just right..
    eventually i figured out to wash my hands with a non perfumed soap run my finger on a mussel and then sniff ,,if the smoke smell was present on my fingers it was enough.
    even the squeemish at the mussles last night .. served with a trio of wegmans seafood sauces ,, mustard , remoulade and horseradish
  • bill,

Mussels look amazing! I have to use my cataplana a couple more times but will try that soon. You know that the Galloping Gourmet was a Canuck show don't you.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Thanks bill! We do have Julies applewood in stock! I'll have to give that a try soon! :)
  • maybe the smoked ones will help you get back into them?
  • i did not .. seriously all these years i thought he was just another drunken Aussie [as opposed to Canadian] .. looks like i better read up a bit ..
    and the mussels were a perect appetizer
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice looking snack. If you ever have any left over place them in a jar and cover with olive oil and keep in frig.
  • i did 3 bags and there were none left , have to keep some home next time.
  • He was English. Drunken all the same

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Assume 2# bags. Have you ever tried New Zealand Green Lips? Little firmer.

Here is a dish we like and it is great for larger groups.

Mussels, Red Curry, Noodles, Richard Fl.

MiniEggfest2010-073Mussels4.jpg

This dish was made for the Florida Mini Fest '10 and was split into 2 different evenings.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 1/2 Lbs Black Mussels
    2 Lbs New Zealand Green Lip Mussels
    4 Tbs Minced Garlic
    2 Cups Cooking Wine, Sauterne
    Sauce:
    3 14 Ozs Cans Coconut Milk
    2 Cans Thai Red Curry Paste
    1/3 Cup Fish Sauce
    2 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    Veggies:
    1 Large Red Bell Pepper
    1 Lb Marsh White Mushrooms or Shitake
    2 Medium Onions, Sliced long ways.
    6 Heads Baby Bok Choy, Sliced
    3 Long Oriental Eggplant, Diced
    1 16 Ozs Pkg Mung Bean Linguini style
    Equiptment:
    Wok W/cover

PROCEDURE:

MiniEggfest2010-067Mussels2.jpg

1 Couple tablespoons chopped garlic, peanut oil, sautee, then add mussels and 1 cup wine. Cover boil 3-5 minutes. Add 1/2 premixed and cooked sauce, then the veggies which have previously been sauteed. Precooked the noodles for 5-7 minutes and added 1/2 the package.

Yield: 6-8 Bowls.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Pasta, Seafood

Cooking Tips
    This recipe is for a double batch, but a regular recipe is enough for 6-8 people.
    This dish except the cooking of the mussels was done the day before and placed half in each of two baggies. The noodles need to be placed in a container with cold water and mixed to get them unstuck, just before placing in wok.

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2010/09/11
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    bill,, steam them inside then smoke? My to do list is getting way too long
  • steaming on the egg is not worth it and if you smoke them in the shell they stick to the shell .. steam inside remove from shell let dry a bit as wet anything does not take smoke,,, they are good
  • Wow, I like it.

I have not had smoked mussels, but I am sure they are great. If they are anything like smoked oysters, I think I will love them. I will have to try this method next time I pick up some mussels.

I have steamed mussels on the grill in the past. I just put them in a foil roasting pan after cleaning. Threw in some white wine, onion, spices, covered and steamed for a few minutes. They were pretty good.

Anyway, I will be sure to share pics when I get around to it. Thanks for sharing yours.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Haven't tried mussels on the Egg yet.
    This method sounds very good, will give this a try
    Thanks for the post :)
  • only problem with my method is i end up eating too many of them right off the grid as i am smoking them.. i smoke early in the day and let them rest in the fridge to mellow until cocktail hour
  • you're welcome .. and do give it a try they make great appetizers for a holiday celebration or you can just snack on them along with a beer while you are egging something else