Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fat instead of butter for gravy roux?

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did the Mad Max turkey yesterday. The only thing that deviated from what was expected was that there was no stuff that needed de-glazing from the roasting pan. Because of that I was able to pour all of the drippings, etc... directly into a measuring cup (large, of course). Also, I started the gravy with 2 sticks of melted butter in a large saucepan, instead of the roasting pan. Anyway, the method calls for the fat, once its separated from the good stuff, to be separated from the drippings. Could that fat be used to make the roux instead of the butter?

thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It sure can. I usually make two rouxs, one with the fat from the bird and another using butter. I only use the butter roux if needed to thicken/darken/enrich/otherwise improve the gravy I have.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. It seemed like the logical next step. Also, I think I'm going to drink the wine next year instead of adding it to the gravy. I live in KY and I thought the wine made the gravy taste a little like the sauce you'd put on a hot brown, which I will be making this weekend from the leftovers.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you need to read post a little further down entitled "liquid gold". ...absolutely you can use the fat to make your roux!!. ..this year we rubbed the bird in about a cup of duck fat....that along with the butter and white wine and turkey drippings made for fantastic 'stuff', but also about two cups of pure duck/turkey fat.. . .made for the best roux ever!!! ..

i probably need to update the 'mad max turkey' site accordingly so that people can go either way. ..
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I never use butter in making a roux. Actually I never mix butter or any milk product with a meat product. I always use rendered chicken fat or turkey drippings. I also have a jar of chicken fat in my refrig at all times. No problem. I rub my turkey with oil and sprinkle on the herbs and seasonings, sometimes add them to the oil for the basting until the fat begins to render. It works out just fine.